Exchange Scholar Request

J-1 Exchange Visitor Request

Please note: This J Scholar Application is for Academic Departments inviting a professor, research scholar or short-term scholar. This form is not for J-1 Exchange Student request.

Documents that need to be submitted to apply to be an exchange scholar at NMU:

1. J Exchange Scholar Application 
2. Resume/CV
3. Complete English Proficiency Form - must be completed by host department
4. Proof of Funding - $14,400 per year for scholar, $5,000 per year for spouse, $3,000 per year for each child (may be pro-rated)
5. Passport identity page for scholar and all dependents
6. Offer letter - see  sample letter

All information must be submitted to the International Programs Office before a DS 2019 will be generated for the scholar to apply for the J1 visa.

Exchange Visitor Categories, Lengths of Stay and Minimum Requirements

The Exchange Visitor (EV) categories are based on each scholar’s activities and purpose for visiting NMU.

Professor and Research Scholar: A professor primarily teaches, lectures or observes while at NMU. He/She may also conduct research. A Research Scholar primarily conducts research, observes or consults in connection with a research project at NMU. He/She may also teach or lecture.

  • A Professor or Research Scholar is eligible for a minimum stay of 3 weeks and a maximum of 5 years.
  • The Professor or Research Scholar is not eligible to hold or be a candidate for a tenure track position at NMU.
  • The participant may not have been in the US in J-1 or J-2 visa status for 12 months prior to the start date of their program.
  • A participant in either of these categories is not eligible to return to the United States in the Professor or Research Scholar category for a period of 24 months following completion of their program.
  • A Professor or Research Scholar is expected to have appropriate academic credentials. All EVs in these categories are expected to have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and have demonstrated related experience or academic credentials.
  • Please see 12/24 participation bar for further explanation.

Short-Term Scholar: A professor, research scholar, specialist, or a person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the United States on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills.

  • The participant may stay in the United States the time needed to complete the objective up to a maximum of 6 months. Extensions beyond 6 months are not allowed.
  • There is no minimum length of stay for EV participants in this category.
  • The Short-term Scholar is not subject to a 12-month or 24-month participation bar.

Health Insurance Requirement

Federal regulations require that all exchange visitors must have health/accident insurance coverage, which includes repatriation costs for remains and dismemberment coverage, during their stay in the United States. The University is not required to pay for the insurance coverage, but must ensure that the scholar and all accompanying dependents have coverage that is valid in the United States. Effective May 15, 2015, new insurance requirements go into effect for all exchange visitors and their dependents. The new minimum requirements are:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Insurance provided to NMU Faculty and Staff through BCBS meets the minimum requirements for the Exchange Visitor program. Please check with the International Programs Office prior to the scholar’s arrival for health insurance policy options if the scholar will need to purchase coverage.

Please note that exchange visitors and their accompanying spouse/dependents may be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act [22 CFR 62.14(a)].

Arrival and Housing Arrangements

The Academic Department or College inviting an Exchange Visitor is responsible for making arrangements for the scholar’s arrival to campus and any necessary housing reservations.

There are times when visiting scholars, who are not employed by the University, require access to a University ID, e-mail or library access. Please review the information on the policy and procedures on what information to file a "Professional Affiliate Request and Approval".

Financial Support

Exchange Visitors are required to show adequate proof of financial support throughout their program. A minimum of $14,400 year for the J-1 scholar and $5,000 per year for a J-2 spouse and $3,000 each dependent must be documented.