International students are allowed to work, on campus only and once you find a job you will need to apply for a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN).

Need help finding an on campus job, resume help and many job opportunities, please see our Career Services website

Process to apply for a U.S. Social Security Number:social security card example

  • Receive a job offer and have your supervisor fill out the F1 Letter or J1 Letter offer letter.
  • Make an appointment with the International Programs Office to complete the Social Security Application Process

There are opportunities for students to work off campus with special permission. Please see the different options below:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) - F1 visa students

CPT is for students who are interested in doing an internship or are required to do practical experience off campus as part of their degree.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) - F1 visa students

OPT is work authorization to allow an F1 student to work in his/her field of study. This can be Pre or Post degree completion.

STEM Optional Practical Training - F1 visa students

This is for students in a STEM degree - you can apply for an additional 24 months of STEM OPT after your original 12 months of OPT. 

Economic Hardship - F1 visa students

This is for current F1 visa students who are attending NMU who have had a substantial change in their certification of finances. 

Academic Training - J1 visa students

Academic training is for J1 visa students who are interested in getting real world experience in their field of study during their time at NMU. 

Taxes - All international students are required to file taxes regardless if you worked or not.


On-campus Employment

Career Services
This website provides resources and services to assist you with career placement. You can find listings of full-time jobs, part-time jobs, summer jobs, internships, and other jobs both on and off-campus. You will also find helpful advice on preparing a resume, interviewing and more.

Online Resume System
This system will allow you to automatically upload your finished resume onto the Career Services website for employers to view. Key features of this new service include: Keyword search, user edits, and up-to-date files. You can update your resume in the system at any time.

Human Resources
If you work on-campus, the Human Resources website is a valuable resource where you can find answers to your payroll questions. On the payroll page, you will learn about payroll dates, setting up direct deposit, using the Ultra Time System and other helpful information. Make sure you know the facts so you can get paid in a proper manner.