Home to some 20,000 lucky residents, Marquette Michigan is also where 9,000 NMU students hang out.
There are restaurants, theaters, art galleries and unique shopping. Want something to do? Year round, the Marquette community hosts sporting events, concerts, art shows and dozens of other events.
But don't just trust us. See what these other websites have to say about this "Cool City."
In brief: Marquette is the largest city in the Upper Peninsula. Population 20,714. It is located on the south shore of Lake Superior, combining a dramatic natural wonderland of shoreline, forest and hills with a vibrant cultural community, progressive education, business and healthcare. Residents are known for their can-do attitude and warm friendliness, despite the area receiving over 180 inches of snow each year.
|N46 deg. 33.40266
- Things to do in the Upper Peninsula
- Noquemanon Trail Network
- Ski Marquette Mountain
- Art on the Rocks
- Hiawatha Traditional Music Festival
- International Food Fest
- Marquette Area Blues Fest
- Noquemanon Ski Marathon
- Ore to Shore Mountain Bike race
- Superior Bike Fest
- Trenary Outhouse Classic
- UP-200 Dogsled Race
National Accolades for Marquette, MI
- 10 Winter Wonderlands for Retirement (Jan. 2011). U.S. News and World Report
- 2010 National Medal for Museum and Library Service presented to Marquette’s Peter White Public Library from The Institute of Museum and Library Service.
- Ten Best Small Cities to Raise a Family (Oct. 2010). Forbes
- Five-Star Top Performing Entrepreneurial Community (Oct. 2010). University of Michigan-Dearborn.
- Bicycle Friendly Communities (2010). League of American Bicyclists
- 7 Top Midwest City Beaches (Aug. 2010). Midwest Living.
- 10 great places to feel like an Olympic Champion – USOEC (Feb. 2010). USA Today
- 2010 Dozen Distinctive Destinations and No. 1 Fan Favorite (Feb. 2010). National Trust for Historic Preservation
- 100 Best Communities for Young People (2008, 2007, 2005; Only 3-time winning community in Michigan). America’s Promise Alliance
- Best places to live in rural America (2008). Progressive Farmer
- Top 50 Vacation Getaways - Mackinac Island #27; U.P. #41 (March 2008). Disney Family Travel
- Top 200 Towns for Outdoorsmen. Marquette is #7. Only town in Michigan (2008). Outdoor Life
- Top Ten Winter Outdoor Family Getaways (2008). Weather.com; GORP.com (Division of Orbitz)
- Top 25 Shortest Commutes. No. 1 (2008). CNNMoney.com
- Top 25 Places for Singles to Meet Their Match (2008). CNNMoney.com
- Best places to buy vacation property. The Upper Peninsula (2006). Men's Journal
- Top 10 global summer vacation destinations. (U.P.), Sherman's Travel, 2006.
- Best Art Towns in America. (2005) Book by John Villani
- America's Most Livable Communities. (2004) Partners for Livable Communities,
- Michigan Cool City. (2004) State of Michigan
- All-America County. (2003) National Civic League
Inclusion of links on this page does not imply an endorsement by NMU. Sites are listed for visitors' convenience only.