Accepted & Current Student Abroad Resources

Accepted & Current Student Abroad Resources

Students who have committed to a program should take steps necessary to start learning about your program location, and ensuring proper preparations are made prior to departure.  Use the following tabs below to access resources and information that will be helpful before and during your trip abroad.

  • Passport


Making sure you obtain and have a valid passport book for the duration of your trip is an important first step.  If you do not yet have a passport but are committed to a program, make sure to apply for a passport immediately.  If you already have a passport – regardless of your country of citizenship – review the expiration date to ensure you do not need to renew.  Your passport must be valid at least six months after the end date of your program.  All passport application forms and information about required documents for U.S. Citizens can be obtained from the U.S. Department of State website.  Standard processing for all passport applications is 6-8 weeks.  Therefore, getting started earlier is to your advantage.

New Applicants
Please note that you may fill out the application form in advance, but do not sign until you are submitting the form in the presence of an authorized official.  First-time passport applicants will also need to submit evident of their U.S. citizenship, such as a birth certificate.  Additionally, all applicants for a passport will need to submit up-to-date standard passport photo.  Typically these can be taken at the Walgreens or UPS Store in Statesboro.  New passport applicants must submit their application at a Passport Acceptance Facility.  In Statesboro, this is the Bulloch County Clerk of Courts.  You should bring your passport application, passport photo, required documents, drivers license or government issued ID, necessary photocopies, and method of payment.  A notary public will review your application and provide you with permission to sign the application form.

If you are still in possession of your most recent U.S. passport, you may renew by mail.  Students should complete and sign the proper application form, and send the signed application, new passport photo, method of payment, and your most recent U.S. passport to the National Passport Processing Center.

For questions and assistance, please visit the Office of International Programs & Services.

Already abroad and need passport help?  Lost or stolen passports should be reported immediately.  Contact the Consular Section your closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for U.S. Citizen Services, and notify the International Education Services Office.