Forms below must be completed by all new hires:
- I-9 (Employment Eligibility) Form
- Federal W-4 Form
- Michigan W-4 Form
- Direct Deposit or Pay Card Authorization
- Post Employment Inquiry Form (not applicable for student employees)
These forms can be filled out in your browser before printing.
What Makes a W-4 Form Invalid
- Missing social security number and/or missing name and address
- Inaction in field 3 (failure to mark a marital status)
- Marking a number of allowances in field 5 AND marking "exempt" in field 7
- Field 5 tells us how much to withhold for taxes and field 7 indicates not to withhold at all so if both are used the form is invalid
- Failure to mark either field 5 or field 7
- Lack of signature at the bottom of the form
- Completing and dating a form in the current year on a form from a previous year
- The year of the form should match the year form is signed
- Missing social security number or other information
- Marking a number of allowances in field 6 AND marking an exemption box in field 8
- Field 6 tells us how much to withhold for taxes and field 8 indicates not to withhold at all so if both are used the form is invalid
- Failure to mark either field 6 or field 8
- Lack of signature on the form
- The number of allowances in field 6 is greater than those on the federal form (in field 5)
- According to the Michigan Dept. of Treasury, no person can claim more allowances with the state tax department than with the federal tax department. Therefore, you must have an equal or lesser number of allowances on your state form.
Pictured above is Dan Truckey, director of the Beaumier Heritage Center. He is a singer/songwriter in his spare time, but he takes pride in preserving the unique heritage of the Upper Peninsula while at work.