After the Human Resources Department receives a copy of your contract or your new hire information, you will be contacted to schedule a benefits appointment.
In preparation for your benefits appointment, please be sure to bring the following information with you so that we can complete all necessary documents:
Forms of identification required for the employment eligibility verification form (I-9). Click here for a list of acceptable documents. Note: You must have either one document from list A, or a combination of one document from list B and one document from list C. See the common examples below.
- Drivers License and Social Security Card
- Drivers License and Certified Birth Certificate
- Direct deposit information (Routing Number and Account Number)
- We are 100% electronic and do not issue paper checks
- Names, dates of birth, and SSN of anyone you will be covering under your medical, dental and vision insurance coverage.
- Names, dates of birth, and SSN for anyone that you will name as a beneficiary for life insurance.
- Appropriate documents for eligible dependents, as specified in the “Benefit Eligible Dependent Definitions and Required Documents”
If you have questions, you may contact Kimberly Hongisto, Benefits Assistant, at 906-227-2470.
PLEASE COMPLETE PRIOR TO YOUR FIRST PAYDAY
Retirement Enrollment: If you forget to enroll, you will automatically be defaulted to the TIAA Lifecycle Fund. To access investment and performance information about the defined contribution retirement plans at NMU, please visit the employee services tab on MyNMU and click on the box labeled "Retirement Plan Information."
- Click on ‘Ready to Enroll’
- Select ‘403(b) Retirement Plan’ and click 'next'
- Click on "begin enrollment"
- Register with TIAA (or log in if already have a User ID with TIAA
- If you need assistance, please contact the HelpDesk at ext.2468
New Employee Orientation: You must have a User ID and Password
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan - Register as a member to access the provider directory, electronic explanation of benefits, and coverage details
CVS/Caremark - Register as a member to manage prescriptions, check costs and coverage, and utilize mail-order prescriptions
EyeMed Vision - Register as a member to access special offers and manage your benefits
Holiday Schedule – Holidays and Seasonal Bonus Days
NMU Health Center – Hours and Services
NMU Police Services – Information on Parking and Emergency Text Alert Program
Recreation Membership Information – As a benefits-eligible employee, you are entitled to a free Recreation Pass. Click here for information on passes for spouse/dependents.
Voluntary Retirement Accounts - Additional pre-tax or post-tax contributions may be made to a 403(b) Tax-Deferred Annuity or 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan with TIAA. Upon completion of enrollment, a salary reduction agreement must be completed and returned to Human Resources.
Discounts - Information on discounts from local, regional, and national businesses that may be available to NMU employees