It's Mission: Women for Women seeks to promote education, service, and leadership throughout the NMU campus and the community at large. The five all-female houses, in tandem with the rest of the student body, work together to introduce others to issues that include, but are not limited to, health, sexuality, and civil rights. Originally founded as a grassroots organization dedicated to the promotion of a female sisterhood, Women for Women has expanded its efforts to include projects that raise awareness of societal concerns throughout the world.
Follow us on Twitter at women4womenNMU, Facebook at Women for Women NMU, and on Instagram at women4womenNMU.
For almost five years, Women for Women has made quite a name for itself on campus, having hosted several service projects that have given a lot back to the NMU and Marquette community. Originally started as a way to unite the five all-female houses on campus, Women for Women is now open to anyone who is interested in helping to put together projects that have a positive impact on women in the area.
Some of the projects Women for Women has proudly hosted in the past two years include:
- Hosting Human Rights activist Kerry Kennedy
- "Do You Have 8 Inches" hair drive, that collected over 60 feet of hair for the organization Children with Hairloss
- "Operation Save Second Base", which for the past two years has raised thousands of dollars for breast cancer awareness
- "Hear Us Roar" and "Voices of Courage" reader's theater presentations
- "Cell phones for Soldiers" - a program that provided free air time for armed services personnel serving overseas.
- "Self-Acceptance Week" - a week long series of programs that encouraged people to embrace their personal identities despite their imperfections and/or weaknesses.
Women for Women was recognized for the Diversity Program of the Year 2009/2010 academic year for Self-Acceptance Week.
Women for Women is always looking for new members and new ideas! The meetings are open to everyone and take place every Monday night at 8:00 p.m. in the Gant/Spalding Lobby.