The Office of Graduate Education and Research at Northern Michigan University encourages an education that:
- upgrades professional competence by providing programs designed to train for careers in a wide variety of areas;
- prepares individuals for advanced academic work, particularly in the academic disciplines;
- provides research opportunities such that the student becomes knowledgeable regarding research techniques and participates actively in research;
- serves the unique needs of students by providing post-baccalaureate educational opportunities for individuals and groups at convenient geographic locations and times; and
serves the university and the student by
- providing a synergy between undergraduate and graduate student learning and faculty research, and
- contributing to the provision of a cost-effective education that enhances learning and career opportunities for future success in both the realm of the discipline and society's ever-evolving demands.