Be wise about overage checks.

An overage results when your financial aid is more than your charges for the semester. All financial aid documentation must be provided and your financial aid award must be completely processed before any overage will be issued. You will be notified via e-mail when your overage is available. NMU begins issuing overages the Friday before the first day of the semester. There are two options to receive your overage: direct deposit or by picking up a check at the NMU Student Service Center, located in the C.B. Hedgcock building.

TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR STUDENT LOANS!  If any part of your overage is related to student loan funds, please remember student loans are a debt that you must repay.  It is easy to return the excess loan funds to manage your long term student loan debt.  If you have questions about returning student loan funds or your student loan debt, please contact the Financial Aid Office at fao@nmu.edu or 906-227-2327

Money on keyboard

Stay on top of your financial aid status.

Throughout the school year your eligibility for financial aid is under review based on any new information provided. For instance, we may receive information on a private scholarship you have earned or other aid not in your original aid calculation. If your full-time student status changes, it could impact financial aid.

Information about any non-NMU scholarships received from private sources should be mailed to the Financial Aid Office.

Mailing address:

Northern Michigan University
Attn: Financial Aid Office
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI 49855

If you have a 529 plan, you should contact your plan representative to initiate the process.  Your 529 funds should be sent to the Student Service Center.

Mailing address:

Northern Michigan University
Attn:  Student Service Center
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI  49855
Studying in Library

Report changes in family circumstances.

If your family's financial situation changes, we recommend that you contact the Financial Aid Office and speak to a counselor to discuss your circumstances. Based on your situation, you may request that your financial aid award be re-evaluated. You do this by filling out the re-evaluation of financial assistance form. Please be aware that re-evaluation requests may take 4-6 weeks to complete.

Re-Evaluation form