Change in Use Request

It is the policy of Northern Michigan University that any department wanting to make a change to the department's use of facilities including moves, renovation of existing facilities or installation/modification of equipment which requires a change to building systems must submit a Change-in-Use request with division head signature to Engineering and Planning for approval.


A university department that plans to make a change in the department's use of physical plant facilities (this includes room changes, renovating existing facilities or the installation/modification of equipment which requires changes to building systems) the department must:

1. Submit a "Change-in-Use" form (located here) to The Engineering and Planning Department. This requires the requesting department's division head approval.

2. Engineering and Planning Reviews the "Change-in-Use" form and:

Identifies Building Modifications
Updates Facilities Database
Informs Master Plan Committee of any changes in use of facility to ensure compliance with the Master Plan

3. If plan does not require any building modifications, and is consistent with the University Master Plan and applicable codes, Engineering and Planning will notify the department to proceed and the following steps do not apply.

4. If required, Engineering and Planning will develop a cost estimate for building modifications.

5. Requesting department identifies funding source.

6. Engineering and Planning develops specifications and plans and coordinates all necessary code reviews.

7. Project turned over to Plant Operations for completion or to Business Services for contractor bids.