Applying to Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (all materials must be received by February 1st for full consideration):
- Application for Graduate Admission (Submit online.)
Upload the following documents into this application (each document should have your name on it):
- MA/MFA English Graduate Program Application Form (writeable PDF)
- Statement of professional purpose addressing your interest in the program, your ability to succeed in graduate school, and (if relevant) your teaching experience
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Writing Sample: If you'd like to submit in poetry, submit 10 pages. For creative nonfiction and fiction, submit 20-30 pages. If you would like to submit a mixed genre/hybrid application, submit 20-30 pages. Mixed/hybrid applications may contain any combination of fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, or experimental/hybrid pieces. Please label as "writing sample."
- Critical Essay: A 10-20 page critical essay (can be made up of 2 essays) - please label as "critical essay." Pick an essay that shows off your ability to think critically and integrate scholarly research. An essay from a previous literature course often works well.
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation addressing your promise as a writer and your ability or potential as a teacher (emailed to email@example.com or snail mailed to English Department, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855, directly from recommender. If snail mailed by student, letter should be in a sealed envelope with recommender's signature over flap.)
- Non-refundable $50 application fee (May be paid via online, mail, or telephone)
- Official transcripts from all schools attended, other than Northern Michigan University
****(Independent evaluation of transcripts required for international students.)
- Declaration and certification of finances (international students)
- TOEFL score (international students)
Send application materials to: Office of Graduate Education & Research, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855.
If you have any further questions about program admission requirements, please contact: