Applying to Master of Arts in English with assistantship funding (February 1st deadline):
1. Application for Graduate Admission (submit online)
Upload the following documents (with your name on each):
- MA/MFA English Graduate Program Application Form: download, fill out, save, and attach to application
- Statement of professional purpose: address your interest in the program, ability to succeed in graduate school, and teaching--or other relevant--experience
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Critical essay: 10-20 pages, can be made up of 2 essays
2. Three letters of recommendation (minimum)
- Should address your academic ability and potential as a teacher.
- May be emailed or mailed directly from recommender (email@example.com, or English Department, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855).
- If mailed by student, letter should be in a sealed envelope with recommender's signature over flap.
3. Non-refundable $50 application fee (may be paid online, by mail, or by telephone)
4. Official transcripts from all schools attended, other than Northern Michigan University
Submit to Office of Graduate Education and Research (firstname.lastname@example.org or Graduate Education and Research, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855)
See Graduate Education and Research website for more information
5. For international students:
- Independent evaluation of transcripts will be required
- Declaration and certification of finances
- TOEFL score
If you have any questions, please contact:
Department of English
MA Program Director: Lesley Larkin
Office of Graduate Education & Research