Applying to Master of Arts in English:
For full consideration, applicants should apply by February 1 for Fall semester admission (and teaching assistantship consideration) and by September 1 for Winter semester admission.
1. Application for Graduate Admission (submit online)
Upload the following documents to your online application (with your name on each):
- MA/MFA English Graduate Program Application Form (download, fill out, save, and attach to application)
- Statement of purpose that addresses your interest in the program, academic experience and goals, and (if applying for a teaching assistantship) preparedness for teaching
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Critical essay (10-20 pages) that focuses on a literary or related topic. (If necessary, two essays may be submitted to meet length requirement.)
2. Three letters of recommendation
- Should address your academic ability and (if applying for a teaching assistantship) your potential as a teacher.
- May be emailed or mailed directly from recommender (firstname.lastname@example.org, or English Department, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855).
- If mailed by student, letter should be in a sealed envelope with recommender's signature over flap.
3. Non-refundable $50 application fee (may be paid online, by mail, or by telephone)
4. Official transcripts from all schools attended (other than Northern Michigan University)
Submit to Office of Graduate Education and Research (email@example.com or Graduate Education and Research, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855)
See Graduate Education and Research website for more information
5. For international students:
- Independent evaluation of transcripts will be required
- Declaration and certification of finances
- TOEFL score
If you have any questions, please contact: