Began teaching at NMU in 2014
- B.A., University of Toledo, 2008
- M.A., University of Toledo, 2010
- Ph.D., Kent State University, 2014
- GC164 Human Geography
- GC360 Population Geography
- GC300 Geography of Russia
- GC310 Urban Geography
- GC205 Introduction to Geographic Research
- GC 220 Economic Geography
Academic and Scholarly Interests
- Human Geography
- Cultural Geography
- Urban Geography
- Ethnic Geography
- Digital Diaspora
- Ethnic Neighborhoods
- European Union
- Western Europe
- Central and Eastern Europe
- Kusek W. and N. Wise. 2014. Artistic Perceptions of Poles in London. Scottish Geographical Journal 130 (2): 99–115.
- Kusek W. and S. Smiley. 2014. Gender, Positionality, and Place: Exploring Cultural Geography through Interviews in an Urban Setting. Journal of Cultural Geography 31(2)14. pp. 152-165.
- Crane N.J. and W. Kusek. 2014. Embracing Dissensus: Reflections on Contemporary Research Strategies in Cultural Geography. Introduction to Special Issue. Journal of Cultural Geography 31(2)14. pp. 121-126.
- Kusek W. 2015. Shifting the Spotlight: Suggesting a Pragmatic Approach to Studying the Polish LGBT Community. Journal of Urbanism: International Research on Placemaking and Urban Sustainability 8(1)15. pp. 82-96.
- Kusek W. 2015. Evaluating the Struggles with International Students and Local Community Participation. Journal of International Students 5(2)15. pp. 121-131.
- Kusek W.2015. Transnational Identities and Immigrant Spaces of Polish ‘Eurostars’ in London, UK. Journal of Cultural Geography 32(1)15. pp. 102-114.
- Korson C. and W. Kusek. 2015. The Comparison of a Thematic vs. Regional Approach to Teaching a World Geography Course. Journal of Geography (DOI: 10.1080/00221341.2015.1076498)
- Forrest J. and W. Kusek. 2016. Human Capital and the Structural Integration of Polish Immigrants in Australia in the First, Second and Third Generations. Australian Geographer. (DOI: 10.1080/00049182.2016.1148103)
- Kusek W. 2016. Polish(ing) My Identity. Book Chapter in Navigating Geography and Self: Transnational Geographers Disrupting Boundaries in a Global Age. Alan P. Marcus (Eds). Lexington Publishing.
- Korson C. and W. Kusek. 2017. Exploring Migration through Popular Media and Fieldwork. Book chapter in Looking Around--Teaching in Postsecondary Schools With Popular Culture.
- Kusek W. 2017. How do Polish immigrants in London reinforce local communities and influence the local economy? Local Economy 32(7)17.
- Kusek. W. 2018. Returning Migrants as Force to Urban Transformation: Case Study from Poznan, Poland. Book chapter in Rajiv Thakur ‘Urban and Regional Planning and Development: 20th century Forms and 21st century Transformations’ .
Manuscripts in Preparation:
- Kusek. W. and N. Wise. (eds.). 2019. Human Geography and Professional Mobility: International Experiences, Critical Reflections, Practical Insights. Routledge Studies in Human Geography. (Forthcoming in Fall 2019).
- NMU All Nations Club, Faculty Advisor
- NMU 2015 and 2016 UNITED Conference, Chair
- AAG CGSG, Chair (2015-2017)
- AAG 2016 WL-EL Meeting, Conference Chair
- AAG Committee on the Status of Women in Geography, Chair (2018 - present)