Frequently Asked Questions

How do I withdraw from all classes for the semester?NMU Pennant
Students who decide to leave Northern Michigan University without finishing the semester for which they are currently enrolled must contact the Dean of Students office.  To view the complete withdrawal procedure and refund schedule visit the Records Office Web site

How do I drop a class to reduce my course load?
Students desiring to reduce their course load should contact the Student Service Center, C.B. Hedgcock Building, Room 2201, 906-227-1221.  To see more information click here.

What if I missed the deadline to receive a W-grade?
If you missed the deadline to drop a class for a W-grade and feel you have extenuating circumstances, you should contact the Dean of Students office.  There is always someone "on duty" during business hours for phone calls and walk-ins.

What should I do if I am too sick to go to class?
If you are too sick to get to class you should always try to e-mail your professors before the class starts.  If that is not possible, do it as soon as you can.
    --Tell them you are missing class because you are sick.
    --Ask them if they can let you know what material you missed.
You should do this for every missed class.  When you are feeling better, we suggest you meet with your professors during their office hours to talk about making up missed work. 

Dining Services has a sick tray takeout option for students who live in the dorms and cannot get to the Dining Hall due to illness or injury.  Information and instructions are contained on the Sick Tray Take-Out Request Form.  Questions should be directed to your resident adviser, resident director or a Dining Services manager.

How do I get a hold on my record removed
To determine what type of hold you have log into mynmu and select the Hold link. If you have an advisor hold, you must meet with your academic advisor to get this hold removed.  To view the types of holds and which office to contact for the hold follow this link.

When is the first and last day of the semester and Spring break?
NMU has an academic calendar containing the key academic dates.  NMU also has an events calendar for university, cultural and sports events.   

Is there tutoring available on campus?
All Campus Tutoring provides free tutoring services to all NMU students.  They have walk-in hours and tutor-facilitated study groups.  The office is located in the Harden room 111H.

There are also specialty tutoring labs for Computer Science, Language and Math, a Writing Center and the Jacobetti Complex Tutoring for students enrolled in programs and/or courses offered through NMU's School of Technology and Applied Sciences.  Visit the All Campus Tutoring Web site for more information. 

Does NMU have a day care program?
NMU does not have a day care program.  There is a Head Start program located on campus which is run by the Alger Marquette Community Action Board.  A link to their Web site along with other resources to assist in locating day care can be found on the Dean of Students Web site.  Click here to visit the Childcare links of interest.   

Need to find a phone number or location of a department?
Try the NMU on-line phone directory or the campus operator at 906-227-1000.

Where do I find the bus schedule?
-- MarqTran provides bus service around Marquette County.  Students ride for half fare.  Visit MarqTran's Web site for more information. 

Is there a Lost and Found?
Public Safety and Police Services is designated as the central repository for all lost, found and abandoned property recovered on property owned by controlled by the University.  Public Safety is located in the Services Building and their phone number is 906-227-2151.