Instructions For Filling Out Your Advising Sheet

Instructions For Filling Out Your Advising Sheet
For Undergraduate Degree Program

The easiest way to determine what you need to take in order to meet the requirements of a specific degree is to map it out on the appropriate advising sheet. This will take a little bit of time on your part, but will provide you (and your adviser) with a complete overview of where you stand to complete the degree. You will be required to have an updated advising sheet when you meet with your adviser. We recommend that you download the interactive form and save it to your computer so you only have to update it each semester. View our advising video in order to gain some insight on how the advising process works.


See these SAMPLE advising sheets as an example of how your advising sheet should look. Then follow the directions below.

Bachelors - Criminal Justice
Bachelors - Loss Prevention Management
Associates - Criminal Justice
AAS - Law Enforcement


Directions: You’ll need two or three items: the appropriate advising sheet and your NMU transcript(s) (which you can download from MyNMU). If you are a transfer student you may also need the transfer equivalency worksheet if your transfer credits are not included on your NMU transcript. Then follow the guidelines below:

  • Advising Sheet: Navigate to the Forms tab at the top of this page and download the appropriate advising sheet for your degree program. Please note that you must meet the minimum credits in each of the appropriate areas (major, minor, liberal studies, physical education and general electives) of the advising sheet. Overall, the TOTAL credits must be met. Pay close attention to the notes in each of the areas of the advising sheet. For example, in the major area, CJ 110 Intro to CJ is a pre-requisite to all other CJ courses and requires a minimum grade of "C" before taking other CJ courses. 
  • Transcript: Current NMU students can download their transcripts from MyNMU. Using your NMU transcript, insert all of the courses you have completed on the advising sheet in the appropriate areas. Be sure to fill in all blocks of information with "Sem/Yr" taken, "Grade" received and "Credits" earned. This will be important when adding up the total credits and verifying the minimum grade needed for the CJ major. If you need additional space for general elective credits, use the back of the form.
  • Transfer Equivalency Worksheet: If you are a transfer student you must submit your "official" transcripts to NMU Registrar’s Office to be evaluated. You will be provided with your "transfer equivalency worksheet." Using this worksheet, insert the equivalent course in the appropriate area on the advising sheet. Please remember any course that does not apply to your major, minor, physical education or liberal studies areas, goes in the general electives area.
    • Please be aware that many community college courses are not always the same equivalency for the same course at NMU, and will require you to take additional credits in the respective area. For example: John Smith attended XYZ College and took CJ 1000 Introduction to Criminal Justice for 3 credits. This course equates to our NMU Course CJ 110 Intro to CJ. However, our course is 4 credits and the course transferred in is only 3 credits. This means that you have satisfied the requirement of the course, but you still need to make up the CJ total credits required for the major. In this case, you need to take one additional CJ elective. You choose to select CJ 214 Investigative Process I. Of the 4 credits for the course, one credit will be applied in the CJ major area and the remaining 3 credits will be applied to the general elective area. 
  • Course Equivalency Site: If you have not had your transcripts officially evaluated by the NMU’s Registrar’s Office, but you want to see how the courses you took at one school would equate to courses at NMU, refer to transfer equivalencies. If your school is not listed on this site, you will have to submit your transcripts to NMU to be officially evaluated. 
  • Liberal Studies: The interactive advising sheets help you go directly to the current undergraduate bulletin, which provides an explanation of the liberal studies program. Please use the side toolbar on that Web site to learn more about each division. To view older bulletins, go to Registrar's Office and click on the appropriate bulletin. Please be aware that all liberal studies courses are listed in the undergraduate bulletin, but not all courses are offered each semester. 
  • Bulletin (Major/Minor Departmental Guidelines): Follow the guidelines as specified in the appropriate academic bulletin for the first year you entered NMU. Some departments require a specific GPA in the major or minor and/or specific number of credits completed here at NMU. NMU also allows you to graduate under the degree bulletin when you first entered NMU or the bulletin in use at the time you graduate. Please review Bulletin Options for Graduation Requirements.
  • Talk With An Adviser: Find who your adviser is so he/she can assist you with the advising and registration process. When you have completed the advising sheet, contact your adviser and set up an appointment to discuss your questions. Keep in mind that the advising sheet should be filled out completely with the semester/year the class was taken, the grade received and the number of credits you received. Your adviser can quickly look at the advising sheet and determine what you need to accomplish to finalize your degree. Your adviser can also talk with you about career objectives and help you target the specific program that is best for you. 
  • Final Note:  These instructions for filling out your advising sheet provide only a general overview for completing your degree requirements. Every student is different, and other options and/or policies may differ depending on your particular status. We recommend that you spend time with your adviser to ensure you ask appropriate questions as it pertains to your specific degree. Also, refer to your online degree evaluation which is available as a tool to track your completion of degree requirements. Official evaluations are completed by the Degree Audits office when you have completed 87 credits/bachelors or 32/associate degree. The Degree Audits office is the final authority to verify that you have met the requirements of your degree for graduation. If you find discrepancies in your evaluations, contact your adviser immediately so corrective actions can be initiated.  
  • Questions: Call us at the Criminal Justice Department, 906-227-2660.