Start the New Year off right with our time management training!
With this class, you will learn how to overcome procrastination, organize your workspace, delegate more efficiently, and plan and prioritize.
Topics such as personal motivation, organization tools, and crisis management will also be covered in this workshop.
When: Thursday, January 10, 2019
Time: 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Where: Jacobetti Complex, Room 124
Cost: $35 - 10% Discount with four or more individuals from one company.
Presented by Anne Giroux
Anne Giroux has served as Marquette County Treasurer since July 2007. She previously served as Director of Finance and Human Resources for the Marquette County Road Commission and as Business Manager for the County’s redevelopment of the former KI Sawyer Air Force Base. She has a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Computer Information Systems and a Master of Public Administration degree both from Northern Michigan University. She serves as Chair/Executive Director of the Marquette County Land Bank Authority and Treasurer/Executive Director of the Marquette County Brownfield Redevelopment Authority. She also is a Past President of the Michigan Association of County Treasurers, President of the Upper Peninsula Association of County Treasurers, and Vice President of the Michigan Association of Land Banks. She is a member of the Ishpeming Downtown Development Authority and serves on the Neighborhood Improvement Committee for the City of Ishpeming. Anne is the current Chair of the Community Foundation of Marquette County as well as the Chair of the affiliate Greater Ishpeming Area Community fund.
Will reschedule for Spring, 2019.
Tax, Forensic Accounting & Ethics Update: Recent Cases & Controversies
Tax accounting is getting more complicated. The concept of “tax uncertainties” seems to have a life of its own, and the old notion of “clear reflection of income” seems to be getting less clear each year. Meanwhile, the due diligence requirements of the AICPA Statement on Standards for Tax Services offer very little ethical wiggle room. This seminar considers these tax accounting and ethics issues in the context of recent cases and controversies. Participants discuss actual court cases as they sort through these issues together.
The financial statements of companies of all sizes and in all industries, from publicly traded corporations to multiple-member LLC's, have been coming under greater scrutiny in recent years. Courts, creditors, analysts, investors who hold minority ownership interests, the business press and other financial statement users seem to be holding the accounting profession to higher legal and ethical standards. Along the way, there is increasing demand for accountants with specialized forensic and investigatory skills. This course examines the growing role of forensic accountants while considering the forensic accounting reports and related efforts of CPAs in recent court cases and controversies.
- Sole practitioners, tax advisers, comptrollers, tax executives, and accountants responsible tax reporting, tax compliance or other tax-related decision-making.
- Professionals seeking to gain greater expertise and training in forensic accounting, as well comptrollers, chief financial officers, forensic accountants, accountants in public practice and other who are responsible for financial statements, internal controls and/or financial integrity of public and private organizations.
- Participants will examine tax accounting issues, including tax uncertainties and the notion of “clear reflection of income,” in light of due diligence and ethical standards.
- Participation in a wide-ranging discussion of the importance and impact of forensic accounting in the discovery and reporting fraud and white collar crime, and the review and analysis of forensic accounting reports developed for recent court cases.
- Clear Reflection of Income: Really?
- The Tax Uncertainties Dance (Tax and Financial Reporting)
- Due Diligence and Tax Accounting Decisions
- Corporate Misdeeds/ Fraud and White Collar Crime
- The Growing Role of Forensic Accounting
- Considering the Ethos (Ethical Climate)
- Fraud Prevention / Fraud Detection
- Forensic Accounting Ethics
- Recent Cases and Controversies
Visit MICPA for more information or to register: https://store.micpa.org/