The BRC (Basic Rider Course)
Sat-Sun, 15 hr. weekend (Double classes start on Friday)
Cost: $50.00 Non-refundable fee.
The Basic RiderCourse teaches the basic mental and physical skills needed for riding. In Michigan, successful completion of this course provides a waiver of the written and riding licensing tests with the Secretary of State office.
- Able to balance and ride a bicycle.
- Possess either a driver's license or motorcycle learner's permit.
- Completed eCourse certificate, printed and brought to first class.
- Must have an email address to take the eCourse.
- What to Expect:
- 15-hours of instruction (5 hours classroom/10 hours riding).
- Range exercises include low-speed maneuvers and basic skills such as shifting, accelerating, braking, cornering, U-turn, lane change.
- You’ll receive individual RiderCoach feedback while learning to ride.
- Motorcycles are provided.
- Types and/or models of motorcycles available vary by site. Ask your RiderCoach which training bike is best for you based on your height, weight or preferred riding style.
- What to Bring:
- Food/beverages for breaks and lunch.
- Your own riding gear, including Helmet.
- Pen/pencil for classroom sessions.
- What you MUST wear:
- Long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Long pants (heavy denim or riding pants recommended)
- Over-the-ankle boots (sturdy, not canvas)
- Eye protection (or full-face helmet with visor)
- Full-finger gloves
- Full-face or ¾-face helmet
Basic eCourse – This is a requirement to attend a BRC Motorcycle class.
**The MSF eCourses are NOT accepted as a license waiver by any state department of motor vehicles, or as a license to ride a motorcycle or a learner's permit.
The MSF Basic eCourse is a highly interactive 3-hr. online program that provides riders of all skill levels with the basics of motorcycling. With integrated graphics, photos and video to illustrate the lessons.
Upon successful completion of an MSF eCourse, you will need to print a completion certificate and bring to the first day of class. The certificate is valid for 30 days. The MSF eCourse is a requirement for attending a hands-on training course, the eCourse must be completed within 30 days prior to the class start date. If you have completed an eCourse more than 30 days before the class start date, you must re-take the eCourse (you can re-take it for free) by logging in and checking the "Start new attempt" checkbox.
Like all MSF training programs, the Basic eCourse promotes lifelong learning. Once you create an account you can retake the course whenever you want as a refresher.
Student age: Participants must be at least 15 years of age and have a valid (Level 1, 2 or 3 graduated driver license.) For students under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must sign a participation waiver which must be returned to the instructor before the student will be allowed on the range.
Class and Range
• Class sessions start on Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with range & classroom, LOCAL TIME, and Sunday will be 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. with Range and written Knowledge test.
Double classes (Rapid River & Menominee) - start time is Friday night at 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. (you will be giving exact times during class on Friday night)
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the start time.
• Bring a bag lunch, snacks and plenty of fluids as this course is physically demanding.
• You must possess the eCourse Certificate of Completion and a signed liability waiver form to be admitted to the class.
• To participate on the riding range, you must wear protective clothing.