Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
NMU Truck Driving School
We are proud to announce our new CDL NMU Truck Driving School!
CDL driving positions remain high in demand and often offer high wages and benefits.
Data shows demand for this occupation will rise over the next ten years.
As of February 7, 2020, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) will enforce the Entry Level Driver Training Rule. This rule will require comprehensive national minimum training standards for entry-level commercial truck and bus operators seeking to obtain a CDL. This ruling will affect anyone looking to obtain a CDL and all businesses with unfilled CDL driver needs.
NMU's curriculum will match federal requirements in anticipation of the FMCSA ruling.
Businesses are encouraged to attend a Meet & Greet that will be held each session, toward the end of the session. This will be an informal event, but you are encouraged to bring information about your business and/or applications.
This is open to our current, past and incoming students. Students are encouraged to bring resumes.
Contact our office for more information and the date of an upcoming Meet & Greet.
This non-credit course will be offered through the Continuing Education & Workforce Development Department at Northern Michigan University.
- Students train in our conveniently located classroom and lab at the Jacobetti Complex on NMU's campus.
- All driving will be done with our industry specific semi-trucks.
- Class sizes are limited to 12 students per session.
- Sessions taught by a Certified Truck Driver Education Provider.
- Students should be ready to test for their CDL in 5 weeks!
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must qualify to obtain a valid Commercial Learner's Permit (highly recommended to obtain before classes start).
- Must have documentation of a valid DOT physical and drug screen before the class starts. Click here and enter the ZIP code to view list of local providers who are listed on the National Registry of Certified Examiners. Students MUST use a Physician on this list.
- Not Required: High School Diploma or GED.
Choose one Session; Monday - Friday; 8 hours daily.
- Session 4: April 8 - May 10, 2019
- The cost is $4,000 per session. This includes classroom and driving instructions.
- Must be paid in advance.
- Textbook: $50.
- Payment plans available.
- Resources for funding assistance may be available, please contact us at 227-2103 to discuss.
- This program is not eligible for federal assistance through the FAFSA application.
Registration: Registration now open!
To register, complete this registration form and return by mail, email or fax.
Address: Northern Michigan University
Continuing Education & Workforce Development
1401 Presque Isle Ave.
Marquette, MI 49855
Phone: (906) 227-2103 or Fax: (906) 227-2108
Provider number: P000678