Program admissions requirements:
- Enrolled in NMU’s Global Campus
- ASCP MLT certification, current and unencumbered
- Associate degree from a NAACLS accredited MLT program or equivalent
- Attestation Form completed that demonstrates one of the following requirements have been met:
- Two years full-time* medical laboratory technician experience in an accredited clinical laboratory within the last four years to include: blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology and urinalysis/body fluids
- A willingness to provide a full or partial clinical practicum if missing experience in any or all laboratory areas: The clinical practicum includes up to 20 weeks total: 4 weeks in hematology, 4 weeks in clinical chemistry, 5 weeks in microbiology, 5 weeks in blood bank (with serology), and 2 weeks discretion of Supervisor with Program Director approval.
Enrollment eligibility is based on CLS Advance Placement Criteria. AP credit may be given for clinical experience in accordance with program policies. See Policy Manual for Senior Practicum Advanced Placement: Laboratory Medicine requirements.
CMS CLIA certificate of registration, compliance, accreditation; OR JCI accreditation; OR Accreditation under ISO 15189.
*Full time experience is defined as a minimum of thirty-five (35) hours per week. Individuals who have part-time experience may be permitted to utilize prorated part-time experience to meet the work experience requirements. For example, if you are employed 20 hours per week for one year, your experience would be computed as 20 divided by 35 multiplied by 52 weeks, or the equivalent of 29.7 weeks of full-time employment.
To qualify for the bachelor’s degree, students must fulfill the following requirements: Complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of credit in residence at Northern Michigan University, excluding advanced placement credit. Transfer students must earn a minimum of eight credits in each major and four credits in each minor. For additional bachelor's degree requirements, click here.