Projected job growth to 2024
About the career
This field provides a wide range of choices for career paths. You could work for the power industry on systems that run thousands of volts and power the entire country. Or work for a company such as Intel that makes the chips that power laptops, tablets and phones on only one to two volts. Or lead the way with alternative energy. Locally, you might work for Cliff’s Natural Resources, Eagle Mine or Potlatch. There are a multitude of opportunities within these areas and many others, from field service to manufacturing.
What you'll learn
- Get a strong background in AC and DC circuit analysis, analog and digital electronics
- Knowledge of industrial machines, controls and systems
- Experience with programmable controllers (PLC’s) and process control systems
- Embedded system / microcontroller programming and design
- Testing and data acquisition processes and techniques
Two-year associate degree (60 credits)
Choose from a concentration in:
- Electrical Power Technician. Jobs: electrical utility field - a very high demand career field with excellent compensation.
- General Electronics. Jobs: customize your studies to meet your interests and career goals, whether it’s making electric guitars or working with alternative energy.
- Industrial Electrical. Jobs: paper mills to manufacturing facilities installing, maintaining or repairing industrial electrical equipment and machines.
Four-year bachelor's degree (120 credits)
Electrical Engineering Technology
Jobs: In a variety of fields including product design, prototyping, testing, automation/robotics, computers, instrumentation and maintenance.