Communication Studies Major
This major teaches face-to-face communication skills and critical thinking skills based upon a body of knowledge that is transportable and applicable to a variety of career paths. Performance and theoretical electives afford students the opportunity to tailor their studies to their interests as they prepare for careers ranging from sales to supervision, from the ministry to law. A background in communication studies is an asset to all career-minded individuals who must communicate clearly, forcefully and persuasively.
All department majors must maintain a 2.50 grade point average in the major and earn at least a “C-” in all major courses that are required for graduation, unless otherwise noted.
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For related information from the bureau of labor statistics, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Degree120
- General Education30-40
- Required Courses in Major44
- Introductory Core12
- Critical Thinking8
- Theoretical Foundation8
- Choose from the following:
- BC 410 The Documentary * (4 cr.)
- BC 480 Media and Politics (4 cr.)
- PR 432 Environmental Campaigns (4 cr.)
- SP 300 Rhetorical Theory (4 cr.)
- SP 401 Persuasion (4 cr.)
- SP 402 Communication Criticism (4 cr.)
- SP 412 Nonverbal Communication (4 cr.)
- SP 422 Crisis Communication (4 cr.)
*Students may elect to take no more than one BC-prefixed course.