This major prepares students for entry into graduate programs in biochemistry and related disciplines. The program serves those interested in biochemical research or forensic science as a career or in pursuing pre-professional programs in medicine or dentistry. The biochemistry curriculum includes the credit-hour equivalent of a major plus a minor; therefore, no minor is required.
Only those chemistry courses passed with a grade of “C-” or better apply to the biochemistry major.
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For related information from the bureau of labor statistics, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Degree120
- General Education30-40
- Required Courses in Major69-70
- BI 303 General Microbiology (5 cr.) or4-5
- BI 406 Advanced Cell Biology (4 cr.) or
- BI 418 Molecular Biology (4 cr.) or
- Biochemistry Electives13
- Choose from the following:
- BI 203 Medical Microbiology (3-5 cr.)
- BI 303 General Microbiology (5 cr.)
- BI 312 Genetics (4 cr.)
- BI 405 Immunology (3 cr.)
- BI 406 Advanced Cell Biology (4 cr.)
- BI 411 Limnology (4 cr.)
- BI 418 Molecular Biology (4 cr.)
- BI 419 Biology of Cancer (4 cr.)
- BI 425 Endocrinology (4 cr.)
- BI 495 Special Topics in Biology (1-4 cr.)
- BI 498 Directed Studies in Biology (1-4 cr.)
- CH 341 Physical Chemistry I * (4 cr.)
- CH 415 Inorganic Chemistry (4 cr.)
- CH 436 Modern Spectroscopy (3 cr.)
- CH 437 Atomic Spectrometry (1 cr.)
- CH 440 Forensic Chemistry (4 cr.)
- CH 490 Senior Research and Seminar I (2-4 cr.)
- CH 491 Senior Research and Seminar II (2-4 cr.)
- CH 495 Special Topics in Chemistry (1-4 cr.)
- BI 412 Biostatistics (4 cr.) or
- MA 211 Linear Algebra (3 cr.)
- MA 361 Differential Equations (3 cr.)
- MA 475 Statistics II (4 cr.)
- PH 322 Modern Physics (4 cr.)
*Students wishing to pursue graduate studies in biochemistry or industrial careers should take CH 341.
This major does not require a minor.