Native American Studies Minor
This minor examines the contemporary and historical experiences and ways of life of the indigenous people of North America from their perspective. It is designed to provide a study of Native American issues from a holistic and humanistic viewpoint by focusing on their cultural, historical and contemporary life.
Note: These new requirements are effective for students whose first semester at NMU is fall 2009.
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Minor24
- Required Courses8
- NAS 300 or 400 Level Course4
- Students are required to take at least 16 additional credits including any Native American Studies courses and the approved elective list below with at least 8 credits at the 300 level or above. Students overall G.P.A. for the NAS minor should be a minimum of 2.0.
- NAS Electives16
- AD 295 Special Topics in Art and Design * (1-4 cr.)
- EN 430 Major Authors * (4 cr.)
- HS 295 Special Topics in History (1-4 cr.) *
- NAS Prefixed Courses, Any (1-4 cr.)
- PS 295 Special Topics in Political Science (1-4 cr.) *
- SO 295 Special Topics in Sociology (1-4 cr.) *
This minor cannot be selected by Native American Studies Majors.
*Note: AD 295, HS 295, PS 295, SO 295, EN 311Z, MU 325 and EN 430 are courses of variable content. Credit only applies to the minor when these courses deal with Native American subject matter. Special topics or directed studies in Native American Studies may also be taken for 1-4 credits with approval.