Native American Studies Major
NAS majors must achieve a GPA of 2.25 or higher in all major required courses.
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Degree122
- General Education30-40
- Native American Studies Major42
- Required Core Courses18
- Anishinaabemowin (Anishinaabe Language)4
- Capstone (both theoretical and applied)8
- Native American Studies Electives12
- Choose twelve credits from below with at least eight credits at the 300 level or above.
- CJ 460 Native American Justice (4 cr.)
- EN 410 Genres of Writing * (1-4 cr.)
- EN 430 Major Authors * (3-4 cr.)
- All courses with NAS prefix not already included in required courses.
- Choose any minor except the following; the Native American Studies minor or the Native American Community Services minor.
Special topics courses, directed studies and course substitutions with significant Native American subject matter from other academic areas may be added with NAS Faculty Affairs Committee and department head approval prior to offering the course.
*Course with variable content. Credit only applies when there is primarily Native American subject matter.
**Transfer students seeking a NAS major or late add-on NAS majors may substitute another two-credit NAS course in place of this freshmen seminar with the approval of the CNAS Faculty Affairs curriculum subcommittee.