This major and concentration provides an opportunity for a diversified background in biology, applicable to a wide range of introductory positions of employment in business and industry, hospitals, universities, the military and government at the local, state and federal levels. It also provides excellent preparation for graduate work in biology or related sciences.
A 2.00 grade point average is required for all biology courses taken in the department. Exceptions must be requested via petition to the department’s academic programs committee.
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For related information from the bureau of labor statistics, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Degree120
- General Education30-40
- Required Courses in Major44-62
- Biology Core24
- Choose one concentration from the following:
- Botany Concentration23-24
- Ecology Concentration27-30
- General Biology Concentration20
- Microbiology Concentration33
- Physiology Concentration32-34
- Zoology Concentration27-29
- Other Required Courses19-20
- Organic Chemistry***4-5
- CH 220 Introduction to Organic Chemistry (5 cr.) or
- CH 315 Organic Chemistry I (3 cr.) and
*Students must declare one and only one concentration as part of the biology major.
**Transfer students may satisfy this requirement with a minimum of 4 credit hours.
***Students in the microbiology concentration must take CH 315 and CH 317 to fulfill this requirement.
This major does not require a minor.