Biology Major - Microbiology Concentration
This major and concentration is appropriate for pre-professional students in pre-medicine, pre-dentistry and pre-veterinary medicine. It provides a foundation for introductory positions of employment in such fields as pharmaceuticals, manufacturing biological products, and monitoring health and environmental standards. It can also serve as a foundation for graduate studies in special areas of microbiology.
A 2.00 grade point average is required for all biology courses taken in the department. Exceptions must be requested via petition to the department’s academic programs committee.
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For related information from the bureau of labor statistics, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Degree120
- General Education30-40
- Biology Core24
- Other Required Courses19-20
- See Biology Major for complete list of required courses.
- Microbiology Concentration33
- Core Courses for Microbiology Concentration18
- Electives for Microbiology Concentration15
- Choose 15 credits from the following list:15
- BI 203 Medical Microbiology (3-5 cr.)
- BI 288 Research in Biology (1-4 cr.)
- BI 327 Animal Physiology (4 cr.)
- BI 402 Microbial Ecology (4 cr.)
- BI 404 Virology (3 cr.)
- BI 405 Immunology (3 cr.)
- BI 406 Advanced Cell Biology (4 cr.)
- BI 412 Biostatistics (4 cr.)
- BI 418 Molecular Biology (4 cr.)
- BI 423 Parasitology (3 cr.)
- BI 431 Plant Physiology (4 cr.)
- BI 488 Advanced Research in Biology (1-4 cr.)