Biology Major - Botany Concentration
This major and concentration provides an opportunity for a diversified background in botany applicable to a wide range of introductory positions in business and industry, universities and government at the local, state and federal levels. It also provides preparation for graduate work in botany or related sciences.
A 2.00 grade point average is required for all biology courses taken in the department. Exceptions must be requested via petition to the department’s academic programs committee.
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For related information from the bureau of labor statistics, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Degree120
- Biology Core24
- Other Required Courses19-20
- See Biology Major for complete list of required courses.
- Botany Concentration24
- Core Courses for Botany Concentration16
- BI 433 Boreal Flora or *3-4
- Electives for Botany Concentration8
- Choose from the following:
- BI 234 Field Mycology (4 cr.)
- BI 288 Research in Biology ** (1-4 cr.)
- BI 402 Microbial Ecology (4 cr.)
- BI 433 Boreal Flora * (3-4 cr.) or
- BI 488 Advanced Research in Biology ** (1-4 cr.)
- BI 495 Special Topics in Biology (1-4 cr.)
*Choose the other course than the one taken in the Core Botany Concentration list above. Any biology course 220 level or above, except BI 305.
**Topic must be related to plants, fungi, algae or plant-microbe interactions.
This major does not require a minor.