Secondary Education Music Major
Bachelor of Music Education
Completion of the music courses as well as the professional education sequence lead to secondary certification, which enables the holder to teach music at the K-12 level.
Students with a major in secondary education music must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or greater overall, in the major, and/or minor(s) with no grade below a "B-" in the professional education sequence and no grade below a "C" in the major and/or minor(s).
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For related information from the bureau of labor statistics, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Degree130
- General Education30-40
- Required Courses in Major65
- Music Core Courses34
- Performance Lessons6
- See large and small ensemble requirements.
- Choral or instrumental. Each course is worth one half credit per semester.
- Large Ensembles3.5
- Elective Ensembles1.5
- Large Ensembles2.5
- Small Ensembles1.0
- Elective Ensemble1.5
- Area of Specialization (Choose either Choral or Instrumental)
- MU 230L Low Brass Class (1 cr.)
- MU 260L Lower Strings Class (1 cr.)
- Music Electives1
- MU 171 Performance 1 - Vocal (1 cr.)
- Music Electives1.5
- Professional Education29
The major does not require a minor.
*Additional Degree Requirement: Majors must attend weekly departmental events held on Fridays at 1 p.m. and attend a specified number of concerts each semester. All attendance is administered through mandatory enrollment in MU 001, a zero credit course. Details are found in the Student Music Major Handbook.
**MU 349 and MU 350 will count in the Professional Education GPA.