Secondary Education Biology Major
Successful completion of this major’s biology courses and the professional education sequence lead to certification as a secondary school teacher in biology. Students in this program must select an academic minor in another department. A minor in chemistry education is recommended. Advising for this major is provided by the School of Education.
Students with a major or minor in secondary biology education must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or greater overall, in the major, and/or minor(s) with no grade below a "B-" in the professional education sequence and no grade below a "C" in the major and/or minor(s).
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Degree138
- General Education30-40
- Required Courses in Major40
- BI 203 Medical Microbiology (3-5 cr.) or5
- BI 303 General Microbiology (5 cr.)
- Biology Electives11
- Other Required Courses32
- Chemistry Electives (200 level and above)8
- Choose from the following:4
- GC 225 Introduction to Maps (2 cr.)
- GC 376 Field Geology (4 cr.)
- GC 390 Oceanography (2 cr.)
- Professional Education37
- Teaching Minor, minimum20-24
* Transfer students may satisfy the CH 111 and CH 112 requirements with a minimum of 4 credit hours each.