Advising for students interested in the pre-medical program is done by Dr. Erich Ottem, Biology Department, 906-227-1072; email: email@example.com.
- Students pursuing this program are assigned to the premedical adviser who assists them in selecting the courses required and recommended for admission into medical school and with general advisement on other required premedical activities. The choice of major is not restricted and students should choose a major that will interest them and provide a possible career opportunity for them upon graduation. Regardless of the major, students must take the science courses required by medical schools for admission. It is also recommended that other upper level biology courses be taken to enhance preparedness for medical school success. Please see the course listings below. A premedical handbook is available from the adviser located in the Chemistry Department.
- The premedical advisor provides students with information about the profession, application procedures to medical schools, and the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). NMU has a premedical advisory board comprised of practicing physicians and NMU professors. The board works in conjunction with the advisor and may interview students who qualify based on GPA and MCAT scores. The premedical advisor will then construct a letter of evaluation (board letter) based on the interview and letters of recommendation.
- Regardless of major selected at NMU, students will be required to complete one year each of biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics from the courses listed below. In addition, other courses in the list should be completed to strengthen their application. Students should consult with the advisor on this to gain a complete understanding of the course requirements for medical school.
Minimum course requirements for U.S. medical schools. All of these science courses have an associated laboratory component.
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For related information from the bureau of labor statistics, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Pre-Medical Core Courses36
- Choose from the following groups:10
- PH 201 College Physics I * (5 cr.) and
- PH 202 College Physics II * (5 cr.)
- PH 220 Introductory Physics I * (5 cr.) and
- PH 221 Introductory Physics II * (5 cr.)
- Recommended Course Options
- Note: Some medical schools may require some of these courses.
- Other Courses
- May be required for medical school admission.
The minimum mathematics requirement for all medical schools in the U.S. is college algebra, or MA 111. Some medical schools may require calculus (MA 161 and MA 163) and/or statistics (MA 109).