Criminal Justice Major
On-Campus and Online through NMU Global Campus
This major provides a basic understanding of the criminal justice system and its components. Students additionally complete a number of advanced criminal justice electives selected to address their individual interests and professional goals.
All criminal justice and loss prevention courses used for the criminal justice major must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For related information from the bureau of labor statistics, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Degree120
- General Education30-40
- Required Courses in Major42
- Criminal Justice Core22
- Criminal Justice Electives*20
- Choose from the following. At least 16 credits must be at the 300 level or above.
- CJ 214 Criminal Investigation (4 cr.)
- CJ 308 Media and Crime (4 cr.)
- CJ 322 Institutional Corrections (4 cr.)
- CJ 333 Forensic Photography (4 cr.)
- CJ 340 Firearms and Violence (4 cr.)
- CJ 350 Substantive Criminal Law (4 cr.)
- CJ 429 Advanced Policing (4 cr.)
- CJ 440 Discretionary Justice (4 cr.)
- CJ 454 Wildlife Crime (4 cr.)
- CJ 460 Native American Justice (4 cr.)
- CJ 480 Cybercrime (4 cr.)
- CJ 491 Internship in Criminal Justice (4-16 cr.)
- CJ 495 Special Topics in Criminal Justice ** (1-4 cr.)
- CJ 497 Teaching/Research Apprenticeship *** (1-4 cr.)
- CJ 498 Directed Study *** (1-4 cr.)
*Other approved CJ course work (e.g., transfer credit or newly approved CJ courses) at the 200-400 level, not listed, may be used to satisfy the requirements in the CJ elective area. Up to 4 credits of CJ 491 Internship may count toward the major. Additional CJ 491 credits will count in the general electives area.
**No more than 8 credits of CJ 495 may be counted toward the major.
***No more than 4 credits of CJ 497 and/or CJ 498 may be counted toward the criminal justice major.
1. This degree requires an overall 2.0 GPA.
2. All criminal justice courses used in the major require a minimum grade of "C".
3. CJ 191, CJ 298 do not apply toward the bachelor’s degree program.