Elementary Education German Minor
Students with a minor in German education must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or greater overall, in the major, and/or minor(s) with no grade below a 'B-" in the professional education sequence and no grade below a "C" in the major and/or minor(s).
To qualify for teacher certification in German, in addition to course requirements, students must also meet the following criteria:
- Pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) for German (#24).
- Achieve state and nationally-accepted ratings (with a minimum of Advanced Low) on an officially administered American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI or OPIc) in German.
- Achieve state and nationally-accepted ratings (with a minimum of Advanced Low on the ACTFL scales) in reading, writing, and listening in German, as evaluated at NMU.
- In accordance with state requirements, spend a minimum of four weeks of planned time in a German-speaking country. (Twelve or more weeks are recommended, and aid students significantly in achieving passing results on the MTTC exam and the ACTFL ratings.)
- Students who fulfill the GR 310 or GR 311 requirement through a transfer course or a course taken abroad must present a cultural portfolio (4-6 pages) for the corresponding area, citing key perspectives of the target culture, connecting those perspectives to cultural products and practices, and comparing perspectives, products and practices to those of their own culture.
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For related information from the bureau of labor statistics, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Minor26
- GR Electives 300 or 400 Level8
LG 350 counts as part of the Professional Education GPA.
Note: Students choosing German as an elementary education minor, must choose one of the following areas as their second elementary education minor: integrated science, mathematics, language arts, or social studies education as a major.