Secondary Education Social Studies Major
Completion of this major’s required courses, a teaching minor and the professional education sequence leads to certification as a secondary school teacher in social studies.
Students with a major in secondary education social studies must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or greater overall, in the major, and/or minor(s) with no grade below a "B-" in the professional education sequence and no grade below a "C" in the major and/or minor(s).
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For related information from the bureau of labor statistics, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Degree120
- General Education30-40
- Required Courses in Major*36
- Choose two courses from the following:
- EC 202 Macroeconomic Principles (4 cr.)
- Political Science8
- Choose two courses from the following:8
- PS 203 Comparative Government and Politics (4 cr.) or
- EC/GC/HS/PS Electives4
- Must be a 300 level course if PS 309 is not taken above.
- Other Required Courses12
- Teaching Minor, Minimum20-24
- Professional Education33
*Transfer students can complete the major by taking two courses—three semester hours each, minimum—in each of the four required areas. The additional credits comprising the 36 required hours may be accumulated by taking courses in any one or more of the four required areas.