Information Systems Major
This program’s objectives are to apply computer theory to business applications and to provide a strong dual knowledge foundation in technical and problem-solving skills. People-oriented career paths lead to positions as computer consultants, analysts, trainers and high-tech marketers. Alternate careers as software programmers, database managers and network administrators tie the technical skills to the support and use of computer systems.
IS majors students must earn a minimum grade of “C-” in each CS/CIS/IS course applying to their IS major.
Students must obtain a 2.00 GPA in their (combined) business core and major courses as well as a 2.00 cumulative Northern Michigan University GPA.
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For related information from the bureau of labor statistics, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Degree122
- General Education30-40
- Business Core*32
- Information Systems34
- Information Systems Core22
- CIS 491 Internship in Computer Information Systems (1-8 cr.) for 2 cr.
- Choice of 12 credits from the following12
- (at least 8 credits must be 300 level or above)
- Any CIS Course not taken for the Core (1-8 cr.)
- MGT 228 Customer Service (2 cr.)
- MGT 355 Methods of Training (4 cr.)
- MKT 470 E-Commerce and Marketing (4 cr.)
- CS 122 Computer Science II (4 cr.)
- Other Required Courses24
- SP 120 Small Group Process (4 cr.)
*Courses in business core cannot be double counted toward another major or minor.
This major does not require a minor.