Dance Major - Bachelor of Arts
The Bachelor Arts in Dance major at NMU focuses on technique, composition, performance, pedagogy, and science to create well-rounded, thinking dance professionals. Whether a chosen focus is on stage or behind the scenes, students will have the option to add on a “track” to the required coursework to create an individualized educational experience based on their needs post-graduation.
For department information or additional degree requirements, click here
For course description, click on the course.
- Total Credits Required for Degree120
- General Education30-40
- Dance Major56-80
- Dance Foundation Courses50
- Choose 12 credits from the following:12
- DAN 405 Pointe Technique *** (2 cr.)
- Choreography and Performance15
- DAN 306 Dance Practicum (1 cr.)4
- Must be taken four times for credit.
- History and Theory8
- Field Experience1
- Dance Science5
- Production and Management7
- Foreign Language Requirement4
- Course in Foreign Language at the 202 level or higher, preferably FR 202.
- Dance Track Options22-24
- Students may add one track from the following optional tracks:
- Dance Science Track22
- Dance Business Track24
- Choose 24 credits from the following:24
- MGT 215 Entrepreneurship (4 cr.)
- MGT 341 Event Planning (2 cr.)
- MGT 342 Event Management (2 cr.)
- Cluster Track24
- With adviser approval, select a cluster of cognate courses from two or more departments totaling 24 credits.
- A course list must be submitted to the Registrar before the second semester of the student's junior year.
- DAN 205 Hip-Hop (1 cr.)
- DAN 206 Cultural Dance (1 cr.)
- DAN 207 Social Dance ** (1 cr.)
- DAN 295 Special Topics in Dance ** (1-2 cr.)
- DAN 309 Dance Internship (1-12 cr.)
- DAN 310 Choreography Audition Prep *** (1 cr.)
- DAN 492 Internship in Dance (1-12 cr.)
- DAN 495 Special Topics in Dance ** (2-4 cr.)
- TH 140 Stage Electrics (2 cr.)
- TH 143 Costume Construction (2 cr.)
- TH 234 Makeup Studio (2 cr.)
- TH 245 Voice and Movement (4 cr.)
- TH 247 Performance Studio ** (4 cr.)
- TH 330 Acting 2 (4 cr.)
- TH 352 Directing Theory (4 cr.)
- TH 360 Theatre History 1 (4 cr.)
* Prerequisites may be required.
** Can be repeated for credit with different subject matter.
***May be taken up to two times for credit.
This major does not require a minor.