Director Human Resources – Ford Motor Company
Rick Popp has been with Ford Motor Company for over 26 years and has held various positions throughout the Company.
Since October 1, 2013, Mr. Popp has been the Director Human Resources for Global Marketing, Sales, and Service (MS&S) and Corporate Communications. In this role, Mr. Popp is a member for Ford’s MS&S, Communications, and HR executive leadership teams and is responsible for HR Business Operations, including individual, organization, and team capability development; organization design; performance management; succession and compensation planning; and other responsibilities as the HR business partner of these global operations.
From January 2008 to October 2013, Mr. Popp was Director Employee Benefits, Ford Motor Company. In that position, Mr. Popp was a member of Ford's Global Human Resources leadership team, reporting to Ford's Group Vice President of Human Resources and Corporate Services, and was responsible for:
- Global benefits planning, strategy, and governance
- U.S. benefits administration, including benefit negotiations with the United Auto Workers (UAW) and other unions representing Ford employees
Core benefit programs, including Retirement/Pensions, Health, Life & Disability Insurance, and additional programs including International Service & Relocation and Company Vehicle Programs
Mr. Popp led Ford's Employee Benefits Office through a difficult period in the auto industry and a period of transformation for Ford Motor Company, which included major employee and retiree benefit changes, total benefits administration outsourcing, global international service administration consolidation and sourcing, the first major U.S. retiree lump sum offering to approximately 100,000 former Ford employees, national bargaining with the UAW in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2011, and various cost saving measures totaling billions of dollars, while at the same time significantly improving operational performance, upgrading customer service and administration technology, implementing robust internal controls and raising, then maintaining, high team morale.
Prior to his benefits role, Mr. Popp was Director of Human Resources, Ford of Mexico, where he helped Ford achieve the honor of being named "Best Place to Work 2007" in Mexico for the first time by a leading Mexican business magazine. Prior to his assignment in Mexico, Mr. Popp held various HR leadership positions with responsibilities in labor relations and contract negotiations, joint ventures, corporate compensation, organization and personnel planning, organization development, and multiple HR assignments in Ford's manufacturing facilities.
Mr. Popp holds a Master's degree in Public Administration, with an emphasis in personnel and labor relations, and a B.S. degree in Computer Science, both from Northern Michigan University. He is also a "fellow" of the 2001 inaugural Wharton Fellows Program, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton Executive Education, and a graduate of Ford Motor Company’s Organization Design Institute.
Mr. Popp also serves or served as:
- Board of Trustees for Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Michigan (first appointed as Trustee by Michigan Governor Rick Snyder in 2011 to 8-year term; elected Vice Chair, and twice elected Chair)
- Chair of Christian Service Commission and member of the Parish Council at Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church in Plymouth, Michigan
- President of Detroit Catholic Central High School Dad’s Club
- Former Executive Committee Member, Conference Board Research Council on Employee Benefits
- Former Ford Motor Company representative on the Economic Alliance of Michigan, a business-labor coalition focused on legislative and regulatory lobbying on employer benefit related issues, including health care, workers' compensation, and unemployment insurance
- Founding and former Member of the Board of Directors for the National Institute for Health Care Reform, a health care policy research organization establish by the United Auto Workers, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, and Chrysler in the 2007 UAW collective bargaining agreements
- Former Member of the Board of Directors for Health Alliance Plan (HAP), a non-profit health plan based in Detroit, MI, providing health care coverage to over 500,000 members
- Former Board member of Dentemax, the former for-profit dental PPO network subsidiary of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- Founding Board member for the Northville Basketball Association (NBA) for grades 4-8 in Northville, Michigan
- Former youth coach for Northville Colts football, Travel Basketball, and Northville Broncos Baseball
- Father of two wonderful sons and the husband of an amazing woman
Popp, of Northville Township, was appointed to the Board of Trustees by Governor Rick Snyder on January 19, 2011, for a term beginning January 12, 2011, and continuing until December 31, 2018. He replaced Dr. Douglas B. Roberts, whose term expired on December 31, 2010.