Board of Directors Responsibilities
What is the Alumni Association Board of Directors?
- 25-30 alumni who are appointed by a nominating committee of the board to serve two three-year terms of office.
What does the Board of Directors do?
- Evaluates effectiveness of programs and services for alumni and Northern Michigan University.
- Advises alumni staff on new programming.
- Guides policy, not operations.
- Reviews the budget and income-generating programs.
- Monitors progress on the NMU Alumni Association's strategic plan.
What does a director do and how much time does it take?
- Attends three meetings each year.
- Serves in an advisory capacity on planning committees that may meet between regularly scheduled board meetings.
- Assists staff at alumni-sponsored activities such as Homecoming, regional gatherings and the fall student welcome rally.
- Provides leadership and participates in Alumni Association programs such as Admissions college nights, career networking, travel, merchandise and activities for students on campus.
- Assists in the local community with university and NMU Alumni Association needs such as association membership recruitment, legislative contacts, fundraising, etc.
- Recommends candidates for alumni awards, board of director vacancies and university advisory committees.
What are the qualifications for a nominee to the board?
- Member of the NMU Alumni Association.
- Loyalty to Northern Michigan University.
- Interest in the NMU Alumni Association programs and activities as they relate to the mission of the university.
- Commitment to attend board of directors meetings, planning committee meetings and participate in NMU Alumni Association activities.
Do you know someone who would be a great board member? Send us their name, your name and how to get in touch with both of you. We'll take it from there!