Transfer Student Housing

Students in Apartment

Transfer students at NMU live on campus in the dorms and apartments or off-campus, depending on their needs and situations. Students enjoy proximity and many services by living on campus, whether in on-campus apartments or in our residence halls. Alternatively, students who satisfy the conditions of the housing requirement may be eligible to live off campus. 

To be eligible to live off campus, students must satisfy the housing requirement. All single, undergraduate students must live in a residence hall unless one of the requirement conditions is met before the start of the semester of enrollment at NMU. If you do not meet one of the requirements, you are required to live in a residence hall unless an exception to the University's housing requirement policy is granted.  Exceptions are only granted due to an extenuating circumstance.  Once you meet the conditions of the housing requirement policy, you then have the option of living in a residence hall, choosing an on-campus apartment, or living off campus.  If you have any questions about this policy or applying for an exception to the policy, you should contact the Housing and Residence Life Office at 906-227-2620 ( or your NMU admissions counselor.

Eligible students are welcome to use local newspapers and online resources to find off-campus housing, and NMU's Dean of Students Office maintains a list of off-campus housing (updated weekly) to make the process easier.