The competition activities are the same for all scholarships but students competing for the Leadership Scholarship must also submit a brief resume
of their leadership experiences and complete an essay on one of their leadership activities. (If selected, additional instructions will be listed below)
For students also applying to compete for the leadership scholarships:
The Leadership Scholarship Program has been developed to attract effective student leaders to Northern Michigan University. Students selected for these awards are
expected to continue their involvement in positions of leadership while attending NMU.
The Leadership Scholarship Program is administered by the Center for Student Enrichment. In making these awards, the scholarship committee seeks to identify students
who have significant leadership experience, a sound academic record, and demonstrate outstanding leadership potential. The committee considers various factors related to
leadership involvement, including: quantity, quality, and nature of involvement; progression in the level of responsibility; and attitude towards leadership.
Each participant must complete the following (this information must be submitted with your competition application form and cannot be completed after you have
initially applied for the competition):
*A brief resume - used to assess the impact of the participant's leadership experiences
- Please type or paste your resume/essay directly into the box below. No other forms will be accepted.
- List each activity and include the number of years involved in the activity; the duties; and a brief (2 to 3 sentence) description of the activity.
- Students will be evaluated on quality as well as quantity of their leadership experiences. Sustained effort over time and a commitment to community service will be rewarded.
Finally, presentation and description of goals and efforts will also be considered.
*Essay - used to evaluate the participant's understanding of leadership
- Pick one activity from the brief resume and write a 250-350 word essay. Please include the duties, description of the activity, and a reflection of the activity.
- The scholarship committee will be primarily looking for the student's ability to reflect on the chosen leadership activity. Each student should demonstrate that the activity
was significant and has helped him/her develop as a leader.