Michigan Residency

Overhead shot of Marquette, MichiganIn general, students from Michigan pay resident tuition rates and students from outside of Michigan pay non-resident tuition rates.

Northern, like the other public universities in Michigan, charges lower tuition rates to Michigan residents partially because the state universities receive some operating funds from the State of Michigan.

In most cases, if you have lived in the state of Michigan for at least six consecutive months before the first day of classes, you'll be considered a Michigan resident.  Of course, there are always exceptions.

  • Dependent children and grandchildren (age 24 or younger) of NMU alumni (associate degree or higher) are eligible for resident tuition rates, no matter where their parents live now. 
  • Veterans or those currently serving in the United States Armed Forces, and their covered individuals, receive resident-equivalent tuition rates. Please provide documentation of your status as a veteran, active military member, or covered individual (spouse, dependent age 24 or younger, or individual using educational assistance*).  * Includes, but is not limited to, any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®), of title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) while attending Northern Michigan University.

In determining a person's eligibility for residency, each case is considered separately. In situations other than those listed above, non-resident students can apply for a change in residency status by submitting a student residency application. New students should submit this form to the Admissions Office. Currently enrolled or returning students should submit the form to the Registrar's Office.  

Note: Students receiving resident tuition rates are not eligible for non-resident merit scholarships, but ARE eligible for resident merit scholarships.


Additional Resources

Residency FAQs

NMU's residency policy

Student residency application form

Alumni dependent certification form