Welcome and thank-you for visiting our resource pages for counseling professionals and college access practitioners.
Whether you are providing college planning services at the middle school, high school, community college, early/middle college or in your community, we appreciate your connection with Northern Michigan University.
Please consider a visit to NMU sometime soon; we'd love to have you as our guest at our summer 'camp' or personalized visit (links at left). We hosted counselor and family summer camp experiences in July 2018 and 2019. We had so much fun meeting counselors and their family members and sharing our love of NMU and the Marquette area. Kudos to those who climbed Sugarloaf Mountain or jumped off Black Rocks into Lake Superior! We are looking forward to hosting this event again July 22-24, 2020. Details and registration are available from the visit options link on the left.
Some new and not-so-new important things to know
- We have resources for your students earning early college credit.
- The NMU profile for counselors is available here.
- New residence halls are completed, along with our beautiful Lodge and our Northern Lights Dining facility.
- New majors and academic facilities are in full swing, including forensic anthropology, medicinal plant chemistry and our autism center for our behavioral analysis major. Students are also excited about the new Enforcement Track in our Fisheries and Wildlife Management major.
- Request NMU school spirit items for your classroom or office area. We'll be happy to send some your way.
- Use technology to "visit" NMU: You or your faculty may want to consider an electronic field trip (associated with career pathways) for your students.
- Summer Academic Camps: Camps in environmental science, coding, skilled trades exploration, and more. These provide great opportunities for students to explore potential career paths and enjoy the beauty of Marquette and NMU's campus.
- Scholarships: You and your students can view scholarships or predict merit awards based on an individual student's academic criteria using our Net Price Calculator. Don't forget our Presidential Scholars Competition for your high school seniors. Over 200 scholarships are offered from this competition, including full-ride and full-tuition awards.
- Financial Hardship/Application Fee Waivers: If you are working with a student who wishes to apply to NMU and for whom the $35 application fee would cause financial difficulty, please know we consider requests made via standard fee waiver request forms such as College Board, NACAC, or high school forms verifying financial status.
- High School Grade Point Averages: For admission and scholarship purposes, NMU will use the overall cumulative GPA reported on the high school transcript. If a high school computes more than one GPA (e.g. weighted and unweighted), we will use the higher of the two.
- Test scores: NMU will accept test scores as official if provided on an official high school transcript.
As always, please let us know how we can strengthen our partnership to serve students.
Executive Director of Admissions
906-227-1464 or 800-682-9797
Even though you may be hundreds, or even thousands, of miles away, it's easy to get connected and explore NMU. With a click of the mouse, you can see what's happening on Northern's campus. Stream live from webcams placed in various locations on campus. View videos and photos of NMU facilities. Or, check out the latest Wildcat news and events.