Welcome and thank-you for visiting our resource pages for counseling professionals and college access practitioners.
Whether you are providing counseling services at the middle school, high school, community college level or in your community, we appreciate your connection with Northern Michigan University. Please consider a visit to NMU sometime soon; we'd love to have you as our guest on our bus trip weekend or personalized visit (links at left). We are currently planning a first-ever "counselor and family" summer camp experience for July 25-27, 2018. See details here. Our winter complimentary bus trip for counselors and college access professionals is scheduled for February 7-9, 2019. Details and registration will appear on our counselor visit page in August.
Some new and not-so-new important things to know
- Your students can connect with current NMU students based on their academic and extracurricular interests.
- We have resources for your students earning early college credit.
- A pdf of the 2017-18 NMU profile for counselors is available here.
- New residence halls are rising and welcoming students.
- New majors and academic facilities are on the horizon, including in forensic anthropology, medicinal plant chemistry and our new autism center for our behavioral analysis major. These join our new certificates in Deaf Studies, Esthetics, and bachelor's degree in Native American Studies.
- Request NMU school spirit items for your classroom or office area. We'll be happy to send some your way.
- Use technology to "visit" NMU: You or your faculty may want to consider an electronic field trip (associated with career pathways) for your students.
- Summer Academic Camps: Camps in environmental science, coding, skilled trades exploration, and more are being planned. These provide great opportunities for students to explore potential career paths and enjoy the beauty of Marquette and NMU's campus.
- New Scholarships: You and your students can view scholarships or predict merit awards based on an individual student's academic criteria using our Net Price Calculator. Don't forget our Presidential Scholars Competition for your high school seniors. Over 200 scholarships are offered from this competition, including full-ride and full-tuition awards.
- Financial Hardship/Application Fee Waivers: If you are working with a student who wishes to apply to NMU and for whom the $35 application fee would cause financial difficulty, please know we consider requests made via standard fee waiver request forms such as College Board, NACAC, or high school forms verifying financial status.
- High School Grade Point Averages: For admission and scholarship purposes, NMU will use the overall cumulative GPA reported on the high school transcript. If a high school computes more than one GPA (e.g. weighted and unweighted), we will use the higher of the two.
- NMU Application for Admission and Counselor Form--We welcome counselor comments regarding students applying to NMU, but they are NOT required. You may submit the eSSR through Parchment/Docufide or through a letter or school form, but not providing this does not delay the admission decision. If you feel there is information to share that could impact the admission decision (issues that have impacted the student's grades or test scores or course choice), we encourage you to submit the eSSR or call or e-mail me or your NMU admissions counselor.
As always, please let us know how we can strengthen our partnership to serve students.
Executive Director of Admissions
906-227-1464 or 800-682-9797
Even though you may be hundreds, or even thousands, of miles away, it's easy to get connected and explore NMU. With a click of the mouse, you can see what's happening on Northern's campus. Stream live from webcams placed in various locations on campus. View videos and photos of NMU facilities. Or, check out the latest Wildcat news and events.