The Adjunct Professional Development Award is a $300 award established to support professional development opportunities for NMU adjunct faculty members. The awards are intended to assist adjunct faculty members to enhance their professional development, particularly when the professional development opportunity will contribute to their teaching expertise.Eligibility
- Have an adjunct appointment at NMU.
- Attend a professional development opportunity during the time in which the adjunct faculty member is employed at NMU.
- Provide evidence of support from the Department Head of the Adjunct Faculty Member (See cover page).
- Limit the number of Adjunct Professional Development Awards to one per academic year, per applicant.
- Professional development opportunities in the applicant’s area of expertise will be considered.
- Awards may be used to provide funds for expenses normally incurred during travel. Preference will be given to applicants who will present a paper or creative exhibit at the professional development opportunity; however, proposals are also encouraged from applicants who seek to continue their professional development, but will not make a meeting presentation.
- Events that would enhance the teaching skills of the applicant. Examples of this category include taking a class to improve web-enhanced teaching, attending a pre-conference workshop focusing on teaching within the discipline.
Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis throughout the academic year until funding for that year has been expended. Funding decisions will be made within 30 days of receipt of the application.Evaluation Procedures
Please submit proposals to Academic Affairs, who will review the proposals based upon the following criteria:
- Potential of the contribution of the professional development opportunity to the teaching expertise of the applicant.
- Relevancy of the proposed activity as it would contribute to the professional development of the applicant.
- Clarity of presentation of the proposal.
- Qualifications of the adjunct faculty member.
- Documentation of presentation by the applicant at the proposed meeting, when appropriate.
Applications for an Adjunct Professional Development Award must be submitted to the Department Head, who will provide a letter of support for the application. Proposals then should be submitted to Academic Affairs.
The application must contain:
- An Adjunct Professional Development Award cover sheet (Word) signed by the applicant and the Department Head.
- A double-spaced narrative (double-sided and 2 page maximum) that includes the following:
- Description of the professional development opportunity, including when and where the opportunity will occur.
- Description of presentation to be given by applicant, when appropriate.
- Indication of how the opportunity will contribute to the professional development of the applicant.
- Indication of how the opportunity will contribute to the teaching of the applicant.
- Statement of resources available to fund the remainder of the professional development opportunity, if not covered in full by this award.
- A budget and budget justification which clearly justifies the requested funds, indicating how monies will be spent.
- A curriculum vitae of the applicant.
- Letter of support from Department Head.
- If applicable, copy of Final Report from a previously funded Adjunct Professional Development Award (see below).
- Any applicant that proposes to use human subjects (e.g., clinical or survey work) must have applied for approval of NMU’s Institutional Review Board (IRB). Any project involving the use of animals must have applied for approval of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). Applicants must attach a copy of their Institutional Review Board (IRB) or Animal Care (IACUC) approval letter, or confirmation of application from the Chair of IRB or IACUC, with their application to be considered for funding.
Adjunct faculty members receiving an Adjunct Professional Development Award must submit a Final Project Report to the department and to Academic Affairs within 30 days after completion of the Professional Development Opportunity. Grantees who fail to submit a Final Report will not be eligible for future Adjunct Professional Development Award funding.
The Final Project Report should include the following information:
- Name of award recipient
- Description of how the award contributed to the professional development of the applicant.
- Description of how the award contributed to the teaching expertise of the applicant.