The Academic and Career Advisement Center equips students with the tools they need to reach their goals.
We understand that being a college student can be stressful and even overwhelming at times. That is why we have created resources to assist you with developing positive study habits, test-taking skills and a good sense of time management.
Look through these with your academic adviser or with a tutor from All Campus Tutoring.
Academic and career enhancement services (ACES) are available for students to help them on their journey to reaching their academic and career goals.
College Success Strategies
- 10 Easy Ways to Earn Academic Probation
- Advising--Tips for Students
- Best Classroom Practices
- Get Involved!
- Get the Most out of Tutoring
- NMU Graduation Checklist
- Know Your Campus Resources
- Letters of Recommendation--Guidelines
Academic Skills Resources
Note Taking/Reading Improvement
- Active Reading Strategies
- Bloom's Taxonomy
- Concept Mapping
- Cornell Note Taking Method (printable)
- Effective Memorization Techniques
- Note Taking...Dos and Don'ts
- SQ4R Method
- SQ4R Method (printable)
- Time Management...The Basics
- Blank Week Scheduling Grid
- "How To" Use Outlook
- Get Organized
- Sample Week Schedule
- Citing Your Sources (APA, MLA, Chicago, Turabian)
- Develop Your Critical Thinking Skills
- "How To" Facilitate Your Own Study Group
- "How To" Facilitate Your Own Study Group (printable)
- Know Your Learning Style
- Cornell Learning Strategies Center
- Khan Academy