CTP Frequently Asked Questions

1.    Why was I admitted into the CTP on Freshman Probation (FP)?

The NMU Admissions guidelines:

  • ACT Composite Score to be a 19 or higher (or 900 SAT Combined Score)
  • High School Grade Point Average to be 2.25 or higher.
  • At or above, students will be admitted to NMU in Good Standing.
  • If your scores fall below the admission standards, you may be admitted to the College Transitions Program (CTP) and on Freshman Probation (FP).

2.    How do I get off FP and to Good Standing (GS)?

As soon as you complete at least 12 credits (100-level or higher) and attain at least a 2.00 GPA ("C" average), you will be placed in Good Standing and exit the CTP and be off Freshman Probation. At that time you will be free to enter any major, take courses of your choosing, etc.

3.    Will I be successful?

That is completely up to you. Our data shows that 81% of FP students are able to return for a second semester (prior to establishing this program, less than 40% of FP students were able to return for a second semester). Most of those students went on to achieve good standing (complete 12 credits/100-level w/ 2.0 cumulative GPA) by the end of their first or second semester. If you work hard, and accept our assistance, you have an excellent chance of being a successful college student.

4.    What's different about CTP students?

You will sign a Freshman Probation Agreement which outlines your responsibilities, you will be placed in a required "block" of courses, and your Freshman Seminar (UN100B) instructor will also serve as your academic adviser until you exit the College Transitions Program. Your "block" of courses will be determined by your COMPASS placement testing (Reading & eWrite) at Orientation. In addition, until you reach Good Standing, you will not be assigned to your intended academic major.

5.    What are the expectations of the student?

You will be enrolled in the same courses as other freshmen, you will be able to complete your degree on time, and you will be treated as a college student. Therefore, you will be held accountable for your actions, have to step forward for help, not receive any guarantees, and be rewarded for hard work.

6.    Under what circumstances would I stay in the CTP after my first semester?

If you fail to pass at least 12 credits (100-level or higher) or you earn a GPA of less than 2.00 (but at least 1.70) you will remain in the CTP for (at least) one more semester. If you remain in CTP, you will still be advised by the same adviser and may be required to participate in second semester intervention.

7.    What happens if I do not earn the necessary grades to stay in school?

If you fail to earn at least a 1.70 GPA in your first semester (or fail to maintain a 1.70 overall GPA) you will be academically suspended for one calendar year. The length of this suspension may be appealed.  If granted, you can return to NMU, earlier than one calendar year.  If not granted, you will not be able to attend NMU (or any other Michigan 4-year school) for an entire year.  Meeting with your adviser during the appeal process will be helpful.

8.    What is a "block" of courses?

We place 20-25 students in the same "block" of courses - Your block is dependent on your COMPASS (Reading & eWrite) results at Orientation. Each block will consist of at least 12-16 credits. By participating in a block, it is easy for students to get to know classmates, share notes, form study groups. etc.

9.    When will I be placed in my block?

We will not place you in a block until we have received the results of placement tests taken during Orientation.

10.    May I substitute courses within my block?

The majority of CTP students WILL NOT be allowed to substitute courses within their block. The only case where substitution may be considered is if a student's academic program is a one-year certificate.  Or AP or transfer credit has been awarded.

11.    What about switching to a completely different block?

Typically no.  Your block is dependent on your COMPASS Placement scores.

12.    May I add a course to my block?

One of the reasons for the block schedule is to not overload the student. If you'd like to add an HP or another one-credit course, we may be able to accommodate your wishes, but only after advisement. We will definitely not add another four-credit course to your schedule.

13.    When may I take classes in my major?

We are quite confident that you will either attain academic good standing or remain at NMU after your first semester. We, therefore, will work with you to register for courses in your major for your second semester.

14.    Am I being punished for something?

Absolutely not.  The CTP is a support program.  Being that we do not personally know you, or your study habits, all we can go on are the scores and HSGPA that we received.  Based on those scores, we made a determination that we may need to provide you with some extra help and/or support to ensure that you become successful in college.

15.    Will other students know that I am on Freshman Probation?

Other than program staff and your academic adviser, the only one who knows that you are on FP is you and anyone you may have told.  The faculty teaching your courses probably won't even know, unless you tell them.  We hold your academic status in strict confidence.

16.    Who may I speak with if I do have additional questions?

The Director of the College Transitions Program is...

Mark Dellangelo, Assistant Director 
Academic and Career Advisement Center
103 Jacobetti Complex Office
Phone:  906-227-2283
Email:  mdellang@nmu.edu