Setting Up an Account
THIS IS A PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE NMU WRITING CENTER'S OWL. PLEASE SEE GENERAL INFORMATION FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO RECEIVE AN ONLINE TUTORIAL.
In order to utilize NMU’s online tutoring, you need to use a Google Mail account (Gmail). Through Gmail, you can access Google Docs, Google Calendar, and Google+: all of these services enable you to quickly create an account, upload your paper, schedule an appointment, and engage in a real-time voice-chat tutorial with an NMU Writing Center tutor. We strongly recommend that you set up your Gmail and Google+ account at least 24 hours in advance before scheduling an appointment. You will need a microphone to participate in a voice-chat tutorial. (Note: Thinkpads from the university have microphones built in to the laptop.)
A Gmail account is necessary to use Google Drive, Google Calendar, and Google+. Follow these simple instructions to setup your account.
To set up Google Drive, click on the Documents link on the Google toolbar. Once you are in Google Drive, upload your Word Document and share it with the NMU Writing Center (use this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org). In addition, fill out the cover letter and upload it with your paper. Once you’ve shared your information with us, we can view it in your tutorial.
If you do not fill out the cover letter when you upload your paper, a tutor cannot make any comments on your paper. Make sure to include the cover letter: it is required for online tutorials. To download the cover letter Word document, click here.
Google+ is a social networking site that allows students to engage in “Hangouts” with NMU tutors. Basically, this means that tutors and students can interact via voice-chat, as well as access Google Drive right in the chat window. When a student isn’t on campus, online tutoring is the closest thing to visiting the Writing Center.
To set up Google+, click on the icon in the far left corner of the Google toolbar. It should be a self-guided process, but if you have any difficulties consult this link.
1) Once you have set up an account, add English Smith to one of your circles.
2) English Smith’s picture is of the NMU Logo, the yellow and green ripples. Add him to one of your circles. You should be able to access the calendar from the About section on the English Smith profile. Now you are ready to make an appointment.
You’ll need Google Calendar to create an appointment for an online tutorial. To create a calendar, simply click on the Calendar link and fill out the necessary information. After, you can make an appointment with English Smith, the alias of the Writing Center tutors.
To make an appointment, find an available time.
Starting the Tutorial
1) After you’ve made your appointment, upload your paper to Google Drive. Make sure to share it with English Smith. The email for the account is: email@example.com.
2) On the day of your appointment, we ask that you log on 5 minutes in advance. A tutor will invite you to a Hangout. The name of the hangout will be Tutorial.
3) Enter the Tutorial and follow the tutor's instructions.
4) After the session concludes, you may log off. Thanks for visiting the online Writing Center!
Initiating a Delayed Tutorial
1) If you are interested in a delayed tutorial, you do not have to worry about making an appointment. Simply upload your paper and cover letter to Google Drive, and share them with English Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org).
2) When sharing a document, make sure to select the "Can Edit" feature in Google Drive.
3) After you submit your paper, a tutor will leave comments within 48 hours of the submission of your cover letter.