The Writing Center is a campus service designed to help students improve their papers while at the same time assist them in gaining an understanding of the dynamics of what goes into writing a good paper. The way in which the Writing Center is designed gives the student a wonderful opportunity for a one on one workshop with a fellow student who has been certified to work in the Writing Center. The Writing Center is structured to give the student one of the most important aspects of editing a paper: an objective opinion.
What is the Writing Center and what services does it provide?
- individual attention: you’ll work one-on-one with a tutor
- no appointments are needed for walk-in tutorials
- all services are free!
What can the Writing Center help student writers with?
Any stage of the writing process:
- brainstorming ideas
- formulating an outline
- drafting the paper
- reading a final copy
- APA, MLA, and Chicago Style citations
- grammar guidance through handouts and reference books
Can I just drop off my paper?
No, the Writing Center does not “fix” or edit papers. We take time to go over:
- problems you are having and how to correct them
Who are the tutors?
Talented undergraduates who:
- are recommended by professors
- go through an interview process
- submit portfolios of their work
- take a 2-credit class that teaches them how to tutor writing