Winter 2013The Wellness Committee is undergoing a committee and program review to refocus priorities. Satellite Fitness Classes, Campus Trekkers, and the Employee Incentive Program will not be active during the winter semester. Please check back for periodic updates.
For more information, please contact Brian Gaudreau at email@example.com
Campus Trekkers: Walk with a Wellness representative and other employees in one of the buildings that is involved with the Campus Trekkers program. You are welcome to join any group without signing up for the Incentive Program. The program goal is to get NMU faculty and staff physically and socially active for 30 minutes of their lunch break. All of the times and locations are listed on the Wellness home page.
Satellite Fitness Classes: Satellite Fitness classes are 30- 45 minutes of moderate physical activity. They are held in several buildings on campus throughout the week. Some of the classes are as follows; Resistance, Lower Back Rejuvenation, Core and Strength Yoga, and Zumba. All of the times and locations are listed on the Wellness home page.
- Core and Strength Yoga: Yoga intertwines flexibility, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and balance together into one workout. The two main focuses of this class are to stretch the muscles that are tight from sitting at a desk and to strengthen the core to support the lower back.
- Zumba: Zumba is a dance fitness class that include aerobic/cardiovascular and muscular strengthening elements. Dancing is a great way to have fun and get moving!
- Resistance: This class will utilize your body weight and resistance bands that will help strengthen your body as a whole. The instructor will make sure that there are modifications for all fitness levels.
- Lower Back Rejuvenation: The lower back is a problem area for many people who sit in a desk for long hours. This class is focused on using strengthening the muscles of the lower back and abdominal area and using foam rollers and other flexibility techniques to restore tense muscles.
Employee Wellness Incentive Program: This program allows you to track your own personal wellness progress. By tracking and recording incentive points, individuals are able to receive prizes!
Get In, Get Out, Get Well: This program goal is to educate our NMU faculty and staff with health/wellness information by coming to your department. The sessions are usually presented during the staff and faculty lunch hour and last about 20 - 30 minutes and are physically and mentally engaging. A mix and match list of exercises and wellness discussion topics will be made to map a way toward your department’s wellness goals in sessions of 30 minutes or less. Previous experience is not necessary, as classes are modified for each participant. Available upon request. For more details and the sign up form click the following link.
Possible exercises include, but are not limited to:
- Stretching & Foam Rolling
- Upper and Lower Body Strengthening
Possible wellness topics to discuss, but are not limited to:
- Common Terms
- Benefits of Exercise
- Blood Pressure
- Risk Factors
Wednesday Weekly Wellness Tips: Each Wednesday of the school year a weekly wellness tip is created and sent via NMU e-mail. These tips will help NMU staff and faculty become more aware of all aspects of wellness.
Monthly Newsletters: Each month there is a Wellness Newsletter that is given to all of the full-time employees at NMU via e-mail.
- Tracking Form
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan: Health Risk Assessment (Must have a login)