Civic Engagement Opportunities
For the Citizenship Edge, you will need 100 hours that may include a combination of service learning, community service, and civic engagement (a minimum of 10 hours must be civic engagement opportunities). You will need to do three separate volunteer activities. Civic engagement activities include: attending political, governmental, ASNMU, non-profit, or board meetings including school board or PTO meetings; attending public hearings; or working on a political campaign or project.
Possible Citizenship Edge Hours - Civic Engagement
On Friday, October 10, from 1-5 p.m. in the Mead Auditorium, celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act. Presentations by representatives from the Ottawa National Forest, Hiawatha National Forest, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Seney National Wildlife Refuge, and the Isle Royale National Park. There will be a panel discussion on challenges facing the wilderness areas in the 21st century.
- ASNMU Meetings: TBA
- College Democrats Meetings*: Tuesday's, 7 p.m., LRC 311
- College Republicans Meetings*: TBA
- Marquette Ending Hunger: TBA
- Social Justice Committee: TBA - Their goal is to create awareness and action in the Northern community. Our theme is "Food: Creation, Competition, Consumption," and we will create educational events, promotions, and talks that center around it.
*Attend a meeting to find out about civic engagement opportunities. The meeting itself will not count towards civic engagement.
City of Marquette Opportunities:
- Marquette City Commission: second and last Monday of each month, 7 p.m., Commission Chambers of City Hall (300 W. Baraga Ave., Marquette)
- Visit http://www.mqtcty.org/government.html to see list of advisory boards, committees, and authorities, and find out their meeting times
- Marquette County Democratic Party, 125 W. Washington St., Marquette
Call 906-226-3366 to find out about volunteer opportunities.
- Marquette County Republican Party, 1200 Wright St. (corner of Lincoln and Wright Street) Contact Curtis Salamino at 517-574-2611 for opportunities.
- Marquette Area Public Schools: Monday, October 13; Monday, October 27; Monday, November 10; Monday, November 24; Monday, December 8; and Monday, December 22, at 5:30 p.m. in the Marquette Senior High School Library
- Room at the Inn: second Thursday of the month, 7 p.m., Diocese of Marquette/Catholic Charities of the U.P. (347 Rock St., Marquette)