Civic Engagement Opportunities
For the Citizenship Edge, you will need 100 hours that may include a combination of service learning, community service, and civic engagement (a minimum of 10 hours must be civic engagement opportunities). You will need to do three separate volunteer activities.
- ASNMU Meetings: Tuesday's, 7 p.m., University Center (check entrances for locations) or call 906-227-2452 for more information
- College Democrats Meetings*: Thursday's, 6 p.m., LRC 311
- College Republicans Meetings*: TBA
- Marquette Ending Hunger: TBA
- Social Justice Committee: Thursday's, 7 p.m., WS 2506 - Their goal is to create awareness and action in the Northern community. Our theme is "Food: Creation, Competition, Consumption," and we will create educational events, promotions, and talks that center around it. We are bringing Raj Patel to NMU to discuss sustainably feeding the world's increasing population. We are working with Dining Services to bring awareness to students about the usage of food at NMU as well as where it comes from. We are also planning a "Classy Dinner" to discuss over a delicious meal the amounts of food that is available to the world population.
- Students for Liberty Meetings*: TBA
*Attend a meeting to find out about civic engagement opportunities. The meeting itself will not count towards civic engagement.
City of Marquette Opportunities:
- Marquette City Commission: second and last Monday of each month, 7 p.m., Commission Chambers of City Hall (300 W. Baraga Ave., Marquette)
- Visit http://www.mqtcty.org/government.html to see list of advisory boards, committees, and authorities, and find out their meeting times
- Marquette County Democratic Party, 125 W. Washington St., Marquette
Call 906-226-3366 to find out about volunteer opportunities.
- Marquette County Republican Party, 1200 Wright St. (corner of Lincoln and Wright Street) Contact Curtis Salamino at 517-574-2611 for opportunities.
- Marquette Area Public Schools: Monday, Nov. 25 and Monday, Dec. 16, at 5:30 p.m. in the Marquette Senior High School Library
- Room at the Inn: second Thursday of the month, 7 p.m., Diocese of Marquette/Catholic Charities of the U.P. (347 Rock St., Marquette)