Civic Engagement Opportunities
For the Citizenship Edge, you will need 100 hours that may include a combination of service learning, community service, and civic engagement (a minimum of 10 hours must be civic engagement opportunities). You will need to do three separate volunteer activities. Civic engagement activities include: attending political, governmental, ASNMU, non-profit, or board meetings including school board or PTO meetings; attending public hearings; or working on a political campaign or project.
- ASNMU Meetings: TBA
- College Democrats Meetings*: TBA
- College Republicans Meetings*: TBA
- Marquette Ending Hunger: To find out more, check out their facebook page at "Marquette Ending Hunger," which is a great source for updates about meetings, volunteer opportunities, and events. If you would like to be added to their mailing list, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Social Justice Committee: Their goal is to create awareness and action in the Northern community. This year our theme is the criminal justice system. We create educational events, promotions, and talks centered on how the criminal justice system interacts with issues of social justice.
*Attend a meeting to find out about civic engagement opportunities. The meeting itself will not count towards civic engagement.
City of Marquette Opportunities:
- Marquette City Commission: second and last Monday of each month, 7 p.m., Commission Chambers of City Hall (300 W. Baraga Ave., Marquette)
- Visit http://www.mqtcty.org/government.html to see list of advisory boards, committees, and authorities, and find out their meeting times
- Marquette County Democratic Party, 1021 W. Washington St., 906-226-3366 - The Marquette County Democratic Party is seeking students to join a grassroots organization of interns and volunteers. Hours are entirely flexible and there is no minimum commitment per week required. We work every day from 10 a.m.-9 p.m., including weekends. Much of the work can be done on campus or in the area just around campus. Leadership opportunities are also available. For more information, please contact Meredith Rahn-Oakes at 718-702-7120.
- Marquette County Republican Party, 1200 Wright St. (corner of Lincoln and Wright Street). Contact Curtis Salamino at 517-574-2611 for opportunities.
- Marquette Area Public Schools: TBD in the Marquette Senior High School Library
- Room at the Inn: second Thursday of the month, 7 p.m., Diocese of Marquette/Catholic Charities of the U.P. (347 Rock St., Marquette)