For the Citizenship Edge, you will need 100 hours that may include a combination of service learning, community service, and civic engagement (a minimum of 10 hours must be civic engagement opportunities). You will need to do three separate volunteer activities. Civic engagement activities include: attending political, governmental, ASNMU, non-profit, or board meetings including school board or PTO meetings; attending public hearings; or working on a political campaign or project.
Possible Citizenship Edge Hours - Civic Engagement or Diversity Edge - Domestic
As a member of the World Affairs Council, NMU and the Department of Political Science and Public Administration are sponsoring the "Great Decisions Global Discussion Lecture Series." Lectures will be streamed from various locations, live via the internet. Members of the audience will be able to text questions to the lecturers. "The Right Bang for Our Bucks: The US Defense Budget," with Dr. Stephanie Young of the RAND Corporation, will be held on Monday, February 19, from Noon-1:40 p.m. in 111-C Learning Resource Center.
Possible Citizenship Edge Hours - Civic Engagement
As a member of the World Affairs Council, NMU and the Department of Political Science and Public Administration are sponsoring the "Great Decisions Global Discussion Lecture Series." Lectures will be streamed from various locations, live via the internet. Members of the audience will be able to text questions to the lecturers. "Global Health: Equity, Ethics, and Eradication," with Former Ambassador Mary Ann Peters and CEO of The Carter Center, will be held on Monday, March 26, from Noon-1:40 p.m. in 111-C Learning Resource Center.
Possible Citizenship Edge Hours - Civic Engagement
The League of Women Voters has started again in Marquette. We are nonpartisan, and our mission is to educate voters about candidates and the issues on all side of political debates. In addition we do voter registration work. Please contact Mary Pelton Cooper at email@example.com for more information.
- ASNMU Meetings: Mondays at 6:30 p.m. in the University Center (please check the display boards when entering the building to find the location)
- College Democrats Meetings*: Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in 2315 Jamrich Hall. You can also check out their Facebook page at "NMU College Democrats" or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- College Republicans Meetings*: Wednesdays at 8:30 p.m. in 235B LRC. You can also check out their Facebook page at "NMU College Republicans" or www.nmurepublicans.com.
- Marquette Ending Hunger*: Sundays at 7 p.m. in the Gant/Spalding Lobby. To find out more, check out their Facebook page at "Marquette Ending Hunger," which is a great source for updates about meetings, volunteer opportunities, and events. If you would like to be added to their mailing list, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Social Justice Committee: Their goal is to create awareness and action in the Northern community. This year our theme is the criminal justice system. We create educational events, promotions, and talks centered on how the criminal justice system interacts with issues of social justice. Check for meeting/community/event updates on their Facebook page at "NMU Social Justice Committee."
*Attend a meeting to find out about civic engagement opportunities. The meeting itself will not count towards civic engagement, but any events will count towards civic engagement.
City of Marquette Opportunities:
- Marquette City Commission: second and last Monday of each month (Feb. 26; March 12 & 26) at 7 p.m. in the Commission Chambers of City Hall, 300 W. Baraga Ave., Marquette.
- Visit http://www.mqtcty.org/government.html to see list of advisory boards, committees, and authorities, and find out their meeting times
City of Ishpeming Opportunity:
- Ishpeming City Council: Wednesdays (March 7, April 4, May 9, June 6, July 11, Aug. 8, Sept. 5, Oct. 3, Nov. 7, & Dec. 5) at 7 p.m. in the Ishpeming City Hall's Upstairs Conference Room.
- Marquette County Democratic Party, 1021 W. Washington St., 906-226-3366 - The Marquette County Democratic Party is seeking students to join a grassroots organization of interns and volunteers. Hours are entirely flexible and there is no minimum commitment per week required. We work every day from 10 a.m.-9 p.m., including weekends. Much of the work can be done on campus or in the area just around campus. Leadership opportunities are also available. For more information, please contact Meredith Rahn-Oakes at 718-702-7120.
- Marquette County Republican Party, 1200 Wright St. (corner of Lincoln and Wright Street). Contact Curtis Salamino at 517-574-2611 for opportunities.
- Gwinn Community Schools: Are held on the third Monday (Feb. 19, March 19, April 16, May 21, & June 18) at 6:30 p.m. in the Gwinn High School Library
- Ishpeming Public Schools: Are held on the third Monday (Feb. 19, March 19, April 16, May 21, June 18, July 16, Aug, 20, Sept. 17, Oct. 15, Nov. 19, & Dec. 17) of each month at 7 p.m. in the Ishpeming High School Library
- Marquette Area Public Schools: Are held on the second Monday (March 12, April 9, May 14, & June 11) of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Marquette Senior High School Library
- Marquette Area Public Schools Parent Teacher Student Organization: Are held on Wednesdays (March 14, April 18, and May 16) at 6 p.m. in the MSHS SRC/Library
- Negaunee Public Schools: Are held on the third Monday (Feb. 19, March 19, April 23, May 21, June 25, July 16, Aug. 20, Sept. 17, Oct. 15, Nov. 19, & Dec. 17) at 7 p.m. in the Negaunee High School Library
- NICE Community Schools: Are held on Monday's (Feb. 19, March 19, April 23, May 21, June 18, July 16, Aug. 20, Sept. 17, Oct. 15, Nov. 26, & Dec. 17) at 6:30 p.m. in the Westwood High School Media Center.
- Room at the Inn: Are held on the second Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. in the Diocese of Marquette/Catholic Charities of the U.P. office, 347 Rock St., Marquette.
- Circuit Court Bailiff: Call 906-225-8209 to find out about the circuit judges' schedules
- District Court: Call 906-225-8235 to find out about their schedule
- Probate Court: Call 906-225-8300 to fin out about their schedule