Press Box


MARQUETTE, Mich. â€Â“ For the second time in Northern Michigan University menâ€Â™s basketball history the team played a four overtimegame.  Saturday it was against Michigan Tech at the Berry Events Center.  The other time the Wildcats played a game that went into four overtimes was againstGrand Valley State University during the 1982-83 season as the â€Â˜Cats won thatgame 83-81. 


Saturday the â€Â˜Cats were victorious also as they held on towin a wild game 81-76.  NMU will face Ferris State in Big Rapids, Mich. on Tuesday in the first round of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference(GLIAC) Tournament.  The â€Â˜Cats enter the tournament with a 17-10 overall recordand a 13-5 slate in the GLIAC.  MTU is now 14-13 and 10-8 respectively.


NMUâ€Â™s largest lead in the first half was four points.  Thathappened twice in the half as the second time was when Nick Buck hit athree-pointer at the 8:58 mark (17-13).  Ricky Volcy made two free throws withone tick left on the clock to pull even after 20 minutes of play (23-23). MTUheld the largest lead of the second half when they were up by five points at44-39 with 4:02 showing on the clock.  The â€Â˜Cats enjoyed a two-point lead afterJake Suardini made one of his two free throws with eight seconds left inregulation to give the â€Â˜Cats the 46-44 lead.  With one second left inregulation, Josh Makela made both of his free throws to send the game to OT(46-46).


The first OT saw the â€Â˜Cats take a three-point lead, 51-48,after R. Volcy made one of his two free throws at 1:35 of the extra session. MTU had the 53-51 lead with 12 seconds left before David Noel made atwo-pointer and was fouled on the shot.  He missed the free throw with fiveseconds left and the score tied once again at 53-all.


MTU took a 57-53 lead in the second overtime session withalmost two minutes gone.  R. Volcy made four free throws in a row to tie thegame at 57.  MTU held a four-point lead at 61-57 with 1:13 left on the clock. With about 10 seconds left MTU held a 63-60 lead.  That was before R. Volcy hita three-pointer with four seconds left on the clock to tie it up at 63.  MTUhad a chance, but missed a lay-up.


Now we go to the third overtime period.  R. Volcy connectedon a lay-up with 2:25 left in the period to give the â€Â˜Cats a three-pointcushion at 70-67.  MTU then made three free throws and a jumper to take a 72-70lead with 33 seconds left.  Marco Volcy was the hero as he kept the game goingby connecting on a lay-up with seven seconds left (72-72) and was fouled in theprocess.  He missed the free throw, so another five minutes.


The final OT frame the â€Â˜Cats were in control the entireway.  Jake Suardini connected for a three-pointer to give the home team a 75-72edge.  R. Volcy then made two free throws and a lay-up to give the â€Â˜Cats a79-73 lead with a little over two minutes left.  Suardini capped the game as hesank two free throws with eight seconds left for the final margin.


In 300 minutes of basketball the â€Â˜Cats were 22-70 from thefloor for 31.4 percent.  From the three-point line, NMU was 7-34 for 20.6percent.  The home team made 42 trips to the free throw line on the day andconnected 30 times for 71.4 percent.  NMU dominated the glass with 66 reboundsas the Huskies had 42.  The â€Â˜Cats turned the ball over 22 times in the game.


R. Volcy led all scorers and rebounders with 36 points and22 rebounds, which are both career-highs.  He also added eight assists, twoblocks and four steals.  Brother, Marco, playing in his final game at the Berry Events Center had 19 rebounds for a new career-high.  Two other seniors playingtheir final game at the Berry had big games.  Noel had 15 points to tie acareer-high while Bick poured in 13.  Suardini off the bench added 10 points. RadaylRichardson led the Huskies with 32 points. 








Prepared By
Dave Faiella
Sports Information Director